This Mexican Lasagna has layers of seasoned ground beef, cheese, tomatoes, beans and corn tortillas. It’s a taco night upgrade that the whole family will love.
This Mexican Lasagna is the ultimate combination of spices layered with all my favorite taco ingredients and smothered in gooey cheese! It’s easy to customize and you can adjust the filling to make this recipe perfect for your family.
Unlike a traditional Italian lasagna, this Mexican Lasagna is pretty easy to assemble. It’s a flavorful and completely satisfying meal you can make on the fly with whatever you have on hand.
Ingredients and Swaps
This recipe is called “lasagna,” but there is no pasta to be found. I’m using the term loosely for this layered Mexican casserole and using corn tortillas instead of noodles. So we call it “Taco Lasagna” or “Mexican Lasagna.”
- Corn tortillas – you can also use flour if you prefer.
- Ground beef – season this with taco seasoning, or just a \\simple salt and pepper if you want to keep it simple.
- Taco seasoning – I prefer homemade, but you can use a packet if it’s easier.
- Corn – a full can, drained.
- Black beans – a full can, drained and rinsed.
- Tomatoes – a full can, drained.
- Salsa – your favorite kind or a homemade salsa. This is just to spread on the bottom of the pan. You could also use enchilada sauce.
- Cheese – Freshly shredded off the block sharp cheddar cheese. Jack or Pepper would also be tasty.
How to Make Mexican Lasagna
So incredibly easy! This recipe has become my go-to for nights when I don’t know what I want to make and the family is staring at me like they haven’t eaten in a week. I always have the ingredients on hand.
Cook the beef. Start by heating a large skillet over medium heat. Cook a pound of ground beef until browned and then stir in taco seasoning, corn, beans, tomatoes, and salsa.
Assemble the layers. In a large baking dish, spread some salsa, then corn or flour tortillas and the ground beef mixture. Top with cheese, then repeat the layers. Don’t worry about perfection here, just slap the layers together and it will look and taste amazing!
Bake. Bake for 30 minutes uncovered unt, then let sit for a few minutes before slicing. Serve warm, garnished with sliced green onions and sour cream.
- Make Ahead: this casserole can be made up to one day in advance. Assemble the layers, then cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Take it out of the fridge while the oven preheats so it can come up to room temperature.
- Storage: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- Swap out the protein and use shredded chicken, pork or even all beans.
- Flour or corn tortillas can be used interchangeably. Flour tend to get a little softer as they bake, and corn tortillas are sturdier.
- I used black beans but pinto beans or even refried beans are a great substitute. In fact you can use any other veggies you want, like diced bell peppers or onions.
- Instead of tortillas, you could even make this with lasagna noodles – yum!
How do you reheat lasagna?
To reheat a lasagna casserole straight from the fridge, heat the oven to 350 degrees and heat, covered with foil, for 30-40 minutes. Single servings can be reheated in the microwave.
How many layers should a lasagna be?
A traditional lasagna usually has 3 layers of noodles, with lots of filling in between. For Mexican lasagna, just keep going until all of the filling has been used.
More Mexican Inspired Favorites
- Mexican Sopes Recipe
- Crock Pot Spinach & Bacon Queso Dip
- Instant Pot Spicy Shredded Mexican Beef
- Mexican Pinwheels Recipe
- Pork Chilaquiles Recipe
- Turkey Taco Stuffed Peppers
If you’ve made this recipe, please come back and leave us a star rating or a comment below. Or, tag us on social media @yellowblissroad or #yellowblissroad for a chance to be featured.
Mexican Lasagna is an easy casserole that’s loaded with your favorite taco flavors for a weeknight meal the whole family loves!
Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 40 mins
Total Time 45 mins
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 15 ounces canned corn drained
- 14 ounces canned fire-roasted tomatoes drained
- 15 ounces canned black beans drained
- 1/2 cup salsa divided
- 15 corn tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream for garnish
- Green onion thinly sliced, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook until browned and no longer pink. Do not drain.
- Add taco seasoning to beef and stir until combined.
- Add corn, tomatoes, black beans, and ¼ cup salsa to the ground beef and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place 2 tablespoons salsa in the bottom of a 9-inch x 13-inch pan and spread to cover the bottom. Layer with 5 tortillas (4 whole and one cut in half to fill in the gap.)
- Add ½ of the beef mixture over the tortillas and then sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers – tortillas, remaining beef mixture, and 1 cup cheese.
- Top lasagna with 5 tortillas just like the previous layers. Spread remaining 2 tablespoons salsa over the tortillas. Sprinkle on remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lasagna is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 6-8 slices, plate lasagna, and top with sour cream and green onion for garnish if desired.
You can use whatever salsa you like for this recipe. It’s a great way to add extra heat or keep things mild depending on your taste preference.
Calories: 659kcalCarbohydrates: 54gProtein: 34gFat: 33gSaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 1074mgPotassium: 727mgFiber: 10gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 920IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 457mgIron: 4.6mg