This Loaded Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole has got it all – meat, potatoes, eggs, lots of cheese and delicious spices. It’s a great make-ahead breakfast to serve your guests this holiday season, but it also makes a great breakfast-for-dinner option any time.
If your family loves breakfast for dinner, this easy breakfast casserole will quickly become a new go-to. It’s got all of the things my family loves about breakfast in a neat and tidy casserole dish. Plus it’s super easy to make! Want to know how to make it?
HOW TO MAKE TATER TOT CASSEROLE
A Tater Tot Casserole (also known as hotdish in parts of the US) is about as easy as it gets. Simple ingredients are layered in a casserole dish and baked. Serve it for breakfast, brunch or dinner!
- Star with gathering the main ingredients of this Loaded Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole: Tater tots (of course!), your choice of breakfast meats (bacon, sausage, and/or ham), onions, eggs, milk & sour cream, cheese, and seasonings.
- The eggs, milk and sour cream are whisked together with the seasonings and cheeses. I used sharp cheddar and pepper jack but you can mix it up according to what you have available. You always want to shred your own cheese – the packaged cheese has preservatives to help it hold it’s shape but it also doesn’t melt as good.
- Layer the tater tots, onion and breakfast meats (I used sausage and bacon) in a casserole dish, then pour the egg mixture evenly over the top. Add some more cheese on top if you like. Bake for just under an hour – it will puff up and be firm in the center. Garnish with some fresh chopped parsley and a dollop of sour cream and watch your family’s jaws drop as they dig in, amazed by this tasty Loaded Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole that you just lovingly created for them!
Loaded Tater Tot Casserole
- 8 slices bacon
- ½ cup finely chopped white onion
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage 8 links
- 6 cups frozen tater tots thawed
- 10 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese 2 ounces
- 1 cup freshly shredded pepper jack cheese 2 ounces
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease an 11x7-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp (*Pro Tip: cut bacon with kitchen scissors as you put it into the hot skillet. Cooks faster and no chopping later!). Set aside. Wipe most of the grease out of the skillet. Add chopped onion and sausage and cook until sausage is no longer pink. Drain grease from the skillet and stir in the chopped bacon.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, sour cream, cheese and seasonings. Set aside.
- Arrange tater tots in the prepared baking dish. Top evenly with sausage mixture.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the meat in the baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes or until eggs are set and top is golden brown.
- Garnish with sliced green onions. Cool for several minutes, slice into squares and garnish with fresh parsley.
Here’s are a few more easy breakfast casserole recipes that we love:
Be sure to pin this recipe to your breakfast board!
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.