This Smoked Sausage & Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole and perfect for your brunch menu and hearty enough to make for dinner.
Breakfast casseroles are one of my favorite things, but I don’t make them all that often. I guess I always think of them taking time…like needing to be made the night before. I prefer to make the kind that don’t need to be made ahead of time – because I never think of it early enough!
Smoked sausage is full of flavor, and the turkey kind is healthier for you than the regular one. We like this breakfast casserole topped with sour cream for a little extra oomph! It reminds me of a Hungarian dish my grandmother used to make, with sausage, bacon, potatoes, hard boiled eggs and sour cream.
Prep for this dish is as easy as it gets. Cook up some onions and peppers with the sausage so they are nice and tender. Layer shredded hashbrown potatoes (the frozen kind that have been thawed is great), eggs + milk, cheese and sausage and peppers. That’s kinda it. Pretty easy, right?
I give it a little swirl at this point to make sure it’s all nice and coated, but you probably don’t have too. The great thing is you can make this ahead of time if you want, but you can also bake it right away.
Another great thing? You can cut it up into squares and it freezes beautifully! It’s a great way to help get breakfast going for the whole week.
- 14 ounces smoked sausage diced
- 24 ounces frozen hash brown shredded potatoes, thawed
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1/2 medium onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13" x 9" pan with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet oven medium-high heat, add olive oil, then onions and bell peppers. Cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes. Add sausage and continue to cook and stir for another 3-4 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Layer thawed shredded potatoes in the bottom of the pan. (*tip - to thaw quickly, spread out on a cookie sheet and place in the oven while it heats and while you prepare the rest of the ingredients). Top with sausage and pepper mixture, then cheese, then eggs. Use a fork or spoon to stir ingredients together slightly to make sure that the eggs are evenly distributed.
- Bake in the 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Can be store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in a tightly sealed container, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- *Tip - Prepare casserole and slice into individual portions. Arrange on a cookie sheet, not touching, and freeze. Once frozen place in a sealed freezer bag. Pull out individual portions, wrap in a wet paper towel and heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until hot.
For more delicious breakfast ideas, try these: