Drizzled with maple syrup and a side of bacon this Creamy Blueberry Baked French Toast is probably the best breakfast dish…pretty much ever!
Let me tell you about the time I was making this scrumptious Blueberry French Toast dish for dinner. Yeah…we have breakfast for dinner often, don’t you? We had company coming over and my oven sparked and then set on fire! Yikes! After that the oven was toast so I was left in a lurch.
True story! Thank heavens for good friends who let you take over their kitchen for an hour…
Don’t worry!!! Everything turned out okay. This bake is resilient. After dinner my husband turned to me and said that is seriously the best french toast I’ve ever had. Wow! That is a pretty BIG compliment! It totally made my day, and after the fire and all I needed a little boost.
I love the creamy texture and the slight sweetness of this french toast. It is definitely dessert for breakfast, but its not the over the top sweet kind. The creaminess and the tartness of the blueberries and lemons provides the perfect balance of flavors.
Creamy Blueberry French Toast Bake
- 1 loaf of French bread cubed
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice + a dash of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest + 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and arrange half of the bread cubes in the bottom.
- In a large bowl and with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice and 1 teaspoon lemon zest. Spoon it onto the bread cubes and spread it out evenly. Top with blueberries and then add the rest of the bread cubes.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup, salt, vanilla, another dash of lemon juice and a teaspoon of lemon zest until well combined. Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and press it all down to make sure that everything gets soaked.
- Cover the dish and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- When you are ready to bake, pull it out and let it come to room temperature while the oven preheats to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the bread is all puffy, golden and the edges are crispy. The middle should be fully cooked and not appear wet or soggy.
I love that this can be prepped the night before and then just tossed in the oven in the morning! So easy!!
Feel free to come check out all of our fun ideas on Messes to Memories!
For more breakfast and brunch recipes, try these: