This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Spicy Mexican Breakfast Casserole is full of flavor and perfect for feeding your brunch or breakfast crowd. Spicy breakfast sausage sauteed with buttery onions and mixed with chunks of bread, eggs and cheese. Top with salsa and sour cream for a real breakfast fiesta!
Breakfast Casseroles are perfect for a brunch or breakfast buffet. We always have them on the menu with Easy Breakfast Potatoes and Fruit Salad on the side.
Mexican Breakfast Casserole Recipe
The holidays will be here before we know it when our lives start to become a little busier than normal. Shopping for gifts, hosting parties, Halloween, Thanksgiving, cleaning the house, sports, school…The list could go on and on! Having this Mexican Breakfast Casserole recipe will come in EXTRA handy this time of year.
Whether it’s a Saturday morning holiday brunch or a lazy family weekend breakfast, this breakfast casserole is dressed to impress. simple and easy to whip up and is ready in about 30 minutes it’s great for feeding a crowd or breakfast meal prep for the week.
Not your everyday casserole
A typical breakfast casserole will have the basics – eggs, cheese, meat. We’ve totally upped the ante here with some incredible Mexican flavors and some crusty bread to bind the whole thing together. It’s not your mama’s eggs, that’s for sure. We are definitely bringing the heat in the form of spicy breakfast sausage and cayenne pepper!
How to Make a Spicy Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. It will only take about 10 minutes to whip up the casserole so make sure you do this first. Grab a 1 1/2-2-quart baking dish and grease it with nonstick cooking spray or butter.
- Saute some onions with butter in a large skillet, then add some spicy breakfast sausage and cook thoroughly. Set aside.
- Tear or cut about a half of a loaf of french bread into bite sized chunks. You should get about 6 cups. Day old bread works best here, just leave it out overnight and it will be perfect. It will hold its shape much better as it absorbs the eggs.
- Arrange the bread in the bottom of your casserole dish, then top with the sausage and onion mixture. Whisk together eggs, cheese, spices and seasonings, then pour over the sausage.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the eggs are fully set in the center. To make sure they’re done, use an instant read digital thermometer inserted into the center of the eggs. It should register 160 degrees.
Serve this Mexican Breakfast Casserole for breakfast or even dinner with your favorite sides. Top with things like sour cream, salsa, cilantro, avocado and green onions.
What to do with Leftovers
Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. It’s great for meal planning! Reheat at 50% power in the microwave. I like to wrap slices in a damp paper towel to keep it from drying out.
Tips for Success
Just a few tips on this easy recipe:
- Breakfast casseroles are great make-ahead recipes! Prepare this casserole the night before, cover it and keep in the fridge to bake in the morning.
- Be sure to grease your baking dish really well. I forgot once and I had baked egg stuck to my dish! I felt so silly for forgetting, especially when I had to scrub it off later! So be sure to use some sort of cooking spray or butter to grease your dish.
- Second, feel free to add other things to this casserole. This is a great base recipe, but I could have added bell pepper or jalapenos or avocados on top. Add your favorite spice to give it a kick or don’t use any. It’s all up to you!
More Breakfast Recipes
- Cheese & Sausage Stuffed Biscuits and Gravy
- Ham and Cheese Croissant Breakfast Casserole
- Baked Cinnamon French Toast
- Biscuit Breakfast Casserole
- Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole (aks Funeral Potatoes)
- Baked Egg Muffins
Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- 1 small onion diced (about ¾ cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 16 ounce package of spicy breakfast sausage Like Jimmy Dean hot
- 1/2 loaf of French bread day old works best!
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro for topping
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or butter.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Saute the onions with the butter until lightly browned. Add the sausage and cook until no longer pink.
- Tear or cut the bread into 1 inch chunks and place in the baking dish. Spread the sausage and onion mixture evenly on top of the bread.
- Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and add the cheese, cayenne, cumin, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Beat with a whisk to combine well. Pour evenly over the sausage.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the eggs are fully set.
- Let cool slightly, then serve topped with cilantro, sour cream or salsa.
- A great make ahead recipe! Prepare the night before, cover and store in the fridge, and bake in the morning.
- Feel free to adjust the heat by changing the amount of cayenne pepper.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.