Alleviate those hectic mornings when you have some fast, easy and totally delicious breakfast burritos on hand. Filled with scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, tomatoes, beans and cheese, having these burritos ready to go in the fridge or freezer makes getting out the door in the morning a breeze!
We really love having quick breakfasts on hand, because let’s face it, mornings can be tough. Some of our favorite on-the-go options include Baked Egg Muffins, Grab & Go Stuffed Breakfast Biscuits and Strawberry Banana Smoothies. And of course our latest obsession – Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos!
Make Ahead Freezer Breakfast Burritos
Ask any parent what their weekday mornings are like and you are likely to get words “hectic,” “disorganized,” “rough,” and “so much yelling!” Ok that last might be mine. The point is, I have yet to meet a parent who breezes through their morning like gliding down a peaceful river. It’s more like a slip and slide.
Until now. Because I have got a huge morning hack for you that’s going to change everything. Make Ahead Freezer Breakfast Burritos! These babies are loaded with so many good things, like scrambled eggs, cheese, beans, sausage and tater tots. You can pretty much make them in any variety you like so there’s something that’s bound to please even your pickiest eaters.
You just need about an hour a week to make this work; I like to just use the leftovers from our weekend breakfast. On Saturday or Sunday morning, make a big batch of eggs and sausage, then you’ve already got half of the work done for you!
Freezer Breakfast Burritos will keep in the fridge, properly wrapped and stored in an airtight container, for 2-3 days. Wrapped tightly and placed in a freezer bag, breakfast burritos will stay fresh for about 2 months. When reheating, keep in mind that microwaves can vary quite a bit so you may need to test the time and find what works for you.
- To reheat from frozen: Remove foil and plastic wrap, then wrap in parchment paper or a damp paper towel. Microwave for 2-3 minutes.I recommend flipping them over halfway through to promote even heating.
- To reheat from fresh: Wrap burritos in a paper towel or parchment paper and heat for 1-2 minutes, flipping halfway through to promote even heating.
More breakfast ideas:
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Egg & Cheese Hash Brown Waffles
- Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
- Greek Yogurt Pancake Recipe
- Breakfast Pizza
- Baked Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cups
- 2 cups frozen tater tots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 links breakfast sausage casing removed
- 8 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 10 flour tortillas 8-10 inch
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Cook tater tots according to package instructions; set aside.
- Cook breakfast sausage in a large skillet until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat, reserving 1 tablespoon in the skillet. (Feel free to use any breakfast meat you choose, or a combination of several).
- Whisk eggs together with the milk and add to the skillet. Cook, stirring often, until thickened and no visible liquid egg remains, about 3-5 minutes; set aside.
- Heat tortillas for 20 seconds in the microwave, just enough to make them pliable. Lay a single tortilla flat, then spread a little of the refried beans on the tortilla and top with tater tots, sausage, eggs, cheeses, tomatoes. Sprinkle on a little bit of cilantro. Fold in one side of the tortilla, then the two opposite sides, then roll up, burrito-style.
- Place, seam-sides down, onto a baking sheet.
- To enjoy immediately, place into a 400 degree F oven and bake until heated through, about 12-15 minutes. Serve immediately.
- To freeze, wrap individual burritos in plastic wrap or foil. Place wrapped burritos in freezer bags and freeze for up to one month.
- To reheat: unwrap desired amount of burritos. (1) Microwave: Wrap with paper towels, and microwave for 3-4 minutes (turn over halfway through). Time may vary depending on your microwave. (2) Thaw in the fridge overnight, then wrap in paper towels and reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. (3) Bake: Preheat oven to 400 degrees, arrange on a baking sheet (unwrapped) and bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.