These easy, cheesy hash brown waffles are just the hack you need to simplify your breakfast routine! Just a few ingredients is all you need and you’re well on your way to breakfast euphoria.
*Be sure to read all the way through to enter our giveaway!
When it comes to breakfast time in my house, easy is the name of the game. Even on the weekends I don’t like to do big, complicated breakfasts. I mean, someone’s got to do those dishes, right?
That’s why I love this genius breakfast hack – Hash Brown Waffles!! By making hash browns in a waffle iron, they get super crispy on the outside, and tender in the middle, plus there’s no flipping required. Add in the eggs, cheese and chives, and it’s a whole breakfast in itself that’s finished in half the time!
Because this is a breakfast hack, we’re starting with pre-shredded (gotta love that time-saver) Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns. They are ready to go straight out of the bag – totally fresh and never frozen (because who wants soggy frozen potatoes??). Whisk up a few eggs and some milk, then stir them into the potatoes with some shredded cheddar, chives and salt & pepper.
The next step, and this is really, really important. SPRAY THE WAFFLE IRON. Do not skip this step or you could have stuck-on potatoes for days. Just use your favorite non-stick cooking spray and use it generously. If you prefer you could melt some butter and brush that on. But we’re going for hackability here and the spray takes up the least of my time.
Chances are you don’t have the same waffle maker as me, so it’s difficult to give exact measurements here…but I got about 1 cup of the mixture per waffle and finished with about 3 3/4 waffles. Depending on the size of your iron, you might need a little more or a little less of the potato mixture per waffle. Use your best judgement here. You want to fill in most of the waffle surface, leaving a half inch (or more) around the edges to allow the potatoes to spread.
The time can vary as well, so you’ll want to watch your waffle closely once you close it. I had mine on a medium-high heat setting and it took about 4-5 minutes to cook to get nice, golden brown hash brown waffles.
Don’t you love how nice and crispy these Cheesy Hash Brown Waffles get? You get nice fried bits of cheese around the edges, too. I like to serve these with a dollop of sour cream and some more fresh chives. The recipe will feed at least four people but can easily be double or even tripled, depending on how many you’re feeding. Just set your oven to the “warm” function, or the lowest temperature it will go, and place each waffle on a baking sheet in the oven to keep warm while you continue cooking the rest.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Simply Potatoes®. The opinions and text are all mine.
Egg & Cheese Hash Brown Waffles:
Egg & Cheese Hash Browns Waffles
Yield 4 -5 servings
- 1 20-ounce package Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped chives, plus some for garnishing
- Salt & pepper
- Sour cream, for serving, if desired
- Heat waffle iron on the medium-high setting. Spray each side generously with non-stick cooking spray or brush with melted butter.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Stir in potatoes, cheese, chives and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Depending on the size of your waffle iron, scoop a layer of the potato mixture onto the surface (for the round waffle maker, I used about 1 cup of the mixture). Spread to about 1/2 inch from the edges and close the waffle iron. Cook for about 5 minutes, checking every few minutes to avoid burning. When the entire waffle is golden brown in color, carefully remove from the waffle iron with a fork or tongs.
- *Tip: Turn your oven to the "warm" function and place finished waffles on a baking sheet in the oven to keep warm which the rest are cooking.
For more delicious breakfast ideas, try these: