This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These BBQ Chicken Tacos are a fun twist on traditional tacos. Tender baked chicken is smothered in tangy BBQ sauce and stuffed into perfectly charred tortillas.
Top with your favorite salsas and sauces, or try my recipe for Corn and Black Bean Salsa, and a homemade cilantro lime crema.Pin this recipe for later!
Table of Contents
- Chicken Tenders – or chicken breasts, pounded thin.
- Seasoning Blend – Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt, Black Pepper.
- Barbecue Sauce
- Corn or Flour Tortillas
- Black Bean Salsa – Tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapenos, lime juice, corn, black beans.
- Cilantro Lime Crema – Sour cream, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Other Toppings – lettuce, cheese, diced tomatoes, sour cream, cilantro.
How To Make BBQ Chicken Tacos
Get a detailed list of ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below.
- Prepare black bean salsa and cilantro lime crema and set aside.
- Mix together spice blend and season the chicken.
- Bake chicken on a foil-lined pan until internal temperature registers 155-160℉.
- Brush with bbq sauce and broil for a few minutes to caramelize.
- Rest chicken before slicing, then assemble tacos.
How Do You Heat Corn Tortillas?
The best way to heat corn tortillas is to steam them in the oven. Wrap a stack or tortillas in foil and place in the oven for about 8-10 minutes while the chicken is cooking.
For individual corn tortillas, warm in a skillet over medium-high heat until they just begin to puff up and char. Don’t add any oil or butter – dry heat is best for heating tortillas.
- When you broil the chicken, watch closely so it doesn’t burn.
- Prepare salsa and crema up to a day in advance.
- Brush chicken with olive oil before seasoning to keep it moist and juicy.
- Want more char? Trying grilling your chicken instead!
- Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge; reheat in the microwave.
- Store leftover salsa and crema in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
More Taco Recipes
- Chicken Taco Salad
- Air Fryer Tacos
- Grilled Shrimp Tacos
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos
- Easy Ground Turkey Tacos
- Game Day Walking Tacos
Oven Baked Barbecue Chicken Tacos
- 2 pounds chicken tenders (about 8-10 pieces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 8-10 Corn tortillas warmed
Black Bean Salsa
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 small jalapeno
- 1/4 cup diced white or red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- fresh lime juice to taste
- 3/4 cup black beans
- 3/4 cup corn
Cilantro Lime Crema
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed sheet pan with foil.
- Prepare the corn and black bean salsa: Slice tomatoes in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut into strips and then dice. Remove seeds from the jalapeno and mince. Add tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, cilantro, lime juice, corn and black beans to a bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper; add more lime juice if desired.
- Prepare the cilantro lime crema by combing the ingredients in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and add more lime juice if desired.
Bake the Chicken
- In a small bowl, whisk together salt, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Rub first with olive oil, then seasoning blend.
- Place chicken on the foil lined pan and bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until chicken is mostly cooked through, registering about 155-160℉ on a meat thermometer. (Note, if you don't plan to add bbq sauce, the internal temp should be 165℉.)
- Turn on the broiler. Brush chicken with barbecue sauce then place under the broiler for about 5 minutes. Watch carefully so the sauce doesn't burn.
- Remove chicken from the oven and rest for 5 minutes before slicing or chopping.
- Assemble tacos: Place chicken into crispy taco shells and add your favorite toppings, like lettuce, tomato, sour cream, red onion or roated corn kernels. Serve immediately.
Assemble the tacos
- Warm the corn tortillas: while the chicken is baking, wrap a stack of corn tortillas in foil and steam in the oven. Or, heat individual tortillas on the stove until char marks appear.
- Place chopped chicken in the center of a tortilla, then top with the black bean salsa and cilantro lime crema.