This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Air Fryer Tacos are perfectly crisp on the outside and filled with an easy and flavorful ground beef filling. You get the same crisp of regular fried tacos in a healthier way and with far less oil.Pin this recipe for later!
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
- Easy Beef Filling – The beef taco filling is easy to make but so flavorful!
- Homemade Taco Seasoning – While you can use a store bought taco seasoning, I like to make my own with staple spices and then I can control the salt.
- Crispy and Golden – The tortilla shells get perfectly golden and crisp in the air fryer.
Ingredients For Air Fryer Tacos
This recipe uses simple, easy-to-find ingredients. I like to make my own taco seasoning, but you can use a store bought blend too!
- Homemade Taco Seasoning – Chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, salt, and pepper
- Ground Beef – I like to use 85/15. You can also make this with ground turkey for a lighter option.
- Diced Onion – You can use white or yellow onion
- Beef Broth – I like to use low-sodium beef broth, but you can also swap in water.
- Tomato Pasta – You only need a couple tablespoons, but you can scrape the rest from the can and freeze in a freezer bag.
- For Serving – Corn tortillas, shredded cheese (such as cheddar, colby jack, or Mexican blend), olive oil or cooking spray, and your favorite taco toppings.
How To Make Tacos In The Air Fryer
See recipe card below for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
Step One: Make the Taco Meat. Cook the ground beef and onions in a large skillet, then drain the grease. I like to use a paper towel to soak up the excess grease and discard. Add tomato paste, beef broth, and spices; simmer until it thickens.
Step Two: Prep the Tacos – Preheat the air fryer (let it run empty for a few minutes) and divide the taco filling among 8 corn tortillas. Top with cheese and brush (or spray) the outside of the shells with oil.
Step Three: Air Fry – Add the tacos to the air fryer basket. Position them so they’re sitting up in the taco shape. Air fry until golden and the cheese is melted. Check on them toward the end of cooking so they don’t burn.
My Favorite Air Fryer
This recipe was developed using the Phillips Premium Air Fryer XXL, but was tested on a variety of other basket models. I love the Phillips because it has the most even heating and has been the most reliable machine I’ve had!
Yes, you can! Brush or spray taco shells with a little oil and air fry (propped up in the taco shape) for 4-5 minutes at 400 degrees F.
You can reheat them in the air fryer at 325 degrees F for a few minutes until warmed.
We love to put out a variety of toppings so everyone can build their own. Some of our favorites are shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, diced onion, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and cilantro.
- Chicken Tacos – Instead of the ground beef, you can also use shredded chicken like in these chicken tacos.
- Other Ground Meat – You can swap in ground turkey or ground chicken for the beef and the recipe will remain the same.
- Baked Tacos – Instead of air frying, you can also use the same filling but bake the tacos instead. There are oven directions in this baked tacos recipe.
They are best when eaten fresh as they can get a little soggy when stored. But leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. It’s best to store them without any toppings so you can easily reheat them in the air fryer.
- Cook Time Varies – The cook time will vary depending on your air fryer, so make sure to keep an eye on the tacos at the end as they can go from done to burnt quickly.
- Topping Ideas: Shredded lettuce, fresh cilantro, lime juice, extra cheese, diced tomatoes, salsa or pico de gallo, and sour cream or crema.
- Spritz or Brush with Oil – I prefer to spray with oil as you get a light, even coating but you can lightly brush with oil as well. The oil helps the tacos get that nice golden brown color and a little crisp.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- Air Fryer Pizza
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer Texas Toast
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Air Fryer Tacos
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper more or less to taste
- 1 pound ground beef 85/15 is recommended
- 2 garlic cloves minced 1-2 teaspoons
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 2/3 cup beef broth or water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese cheddar, colby jack or any other preferred flavor
- olive oil or olive oil cooking spray
- toppings as desired
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add ground beef, diced onion and minced garlic. Break up beef with a spatula and stir often until no longer pink; 5-7 minutes. Drain grease or soak up with paper towels and discard.
- Stir in tomato paste, beef broth or water, and all seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until sauce is thickened and reduced; about 10-15 minutes.Once the meat is reduced, let sit for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
- While the air fryer is preheating, distribute the taco filling among 8 taco shells. Add cheese and brush or spray the outside with olive oil cooking spray.
- Line the tacos up in the air fryer basket, positioned to form the desired taco shape.
- Cook in the preheated air fryer for 5-10 minutes or until desired level of doneness is achieved.
- Add your favorite taco toppings like lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream and salsa. Serve and enjoy.