This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This pineapple smoothie tastes like a tropical paradise in a glass. So refreshing and deliciously sweet, it’s the perfect smoothie recipe to start your day!
Why I Love This Pineapple Smoothie Recipe
I love making smoothies for breakfast because they’re quick, easy & always delicious. I love when smoothies are creamy and frothy, and when it’s hot outside – it’s the perfect way to cool off. And that’s why today I’m sharing this pineapple smoothie recipe. It only has 4 ingredients, and it tastes like sweet sunshine.
I usually go for a mixed berry smoothie or a strawberry banana smoothie in the morning – but I decided to switch things up by making this pineapple smoothie instead. It has a deliciously sweet and slightly tangy flavor thanks to the pineapple and orange juice. Then it’s thick and creamy because we’re adding in banana and yogurt.
Pineapple Smoothie Ingredients and Substitutions
- Pineapple – You can use fresh pineapple or frozen pineapple chunks.
- Banana – Fresh or frozen banana is fine. Choose a ripe banana with a bright yellow peel. Slightly green bananas can be bitter and the brown ones are equally unpleasant. If you don’t like bananas, replace them with strawberries or raspberries.
- Orange Juice – Fresh squeezed is great, but usually I just pour from a bottle. You can also switch it up by using pineapple-orange juice or tropical fruit juice instead of orange juice.
- Greek Yogurt – Feel free to use plain or vanilla yogurt. Keep in mind that flavored yogurt can add more sugar
- Ice – Totally optional, but sometimes I’ll throw in 1 cup of ice cubes for a thicker smoothie.
How to make a Pineapple Smoothie
The pineapple makes this smoothie sweet, tropical and completely delicious. I love the combo of sweet pineapple, tangy citrus, and mellow banana. Then the yogurt helps to keep you full longer and adds calcium.
The directions are simple:
- Add ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour and enjoy!
This healthy pineapple smoothie is such a delicious, easy recipe whether you’re looking for a smoothie for breakfast or a snack. And because it can be easily made with fresh or frozen fruit – you can enjoy it any time of year.
Can You Freeze Fresh Pineapple For a Smoothie?
It’s really easy to freeze fresh pineapple! First peel the skin off of the pineapple, then cut into small chunks (smaller is better for smoothies).
Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper and lay pineapple out in a single layer. Slide the whole sheet pan into the freezer. Once the pineapple chunks are frozen, transfer them to a freezer bag.
What Fruits Go With Pineapple?
Pineapple is a refreshingly tangy tropical fruit, and it pairs well with other tropical flavors like orange, papaya, passion fruit, kiwi fruit and mango.
But you don’t have to go with tropical. Pair with apricots, banana, lemon, lime, pomegranate, strawberry or raspberry.
Can You Mix Milk With Pineapple?
It may come as a surprise, but you should not mix pineapple with milk. It can cause stomach pain and gas, nausea or headaches.
However, there isn’t really scientific evidence that it causes health problems. The aforementioned issues are more likely attributed to the acid in the pineapple causing the milk to curdle or turn sour.
But don’t worry, it won’t ruin your smoothie or pineapple upside down cake.
More Smoothie Recipes
More Ways to Use Pineapple
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 2 medium bananas
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt or plain
- Add all the ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into 2 glasses and enjoy.