This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake recipe is a breeze to make, delicious and will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth. It’s the perfect crowd pleasing dessert!
Having an easy chocolate dessert recipe in your back pocket, like my Chocolate Lasagna, Chocolate Bread Pudding or Chocolate No Bake Cookies, is an absolute must for every home chef!
When you’re craving chocolate, you want it NOW. Or maybe that’s just me? But either way, this Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake recipe will satisfy that chocolate craving, and then some! Plus its chocolate and fruit together, and you can’t go wrong with that. I mean, it’s practically a healthy dessert, right?
CHOCOLATE CHERRY DUMP CAKE
Have you tried Dump Cake? Traditionally they are made with yellow cake, crushed pineapple and cherry pie filling but I liked the idea of chunks of pineapple swimming in all of that yummy goodness so I decided to go against the grain. The idea behind a Dump Cake is just that – dump it, put it in the oven and forget it. We know that I love easy recipes that don’t require a ton of prep work, and this dessert fits the bill.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHERRY DUMP CAKE
Let’s make this awesome dessert recipe, shall we?
- Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dump in the canned pineapple.
- Dump in the cherry pie filling.
- Dump in the chocolate cake mix.
- Dump in the butter. Except don’t really “dump” in the butter, slice it and place it evenly on top of the cake.
- Bake until done.
DUMP CAKE RECIPE TIPS
- One thing you want to make sure to do is to use a 13×9 inch pan. I have used an 11×7 because it was prettier and it made the cake mix sit a little too thick. It still tasted incredibly amazing, but didn’t crumble like the top should.
- If you’ve got it, ice cream on top is a must!
- Do not overbake. In fact, having your cake be slightly under-done is totally acceptable.
- My favorite chocolate cake mix is good ol’ Betty Crocker, but you can use any that might be your favorite.
HOW DO YOU SERVE DUMP CAKE?
You can serve this cake warm or cold and with out without ice cream on top. Although I definitely think dump cakes are best served warm and a la mode.
Am I right? Just look at that creamy, melt-y vanilla ice cream. Spoon it up, because this Chocolate Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake is going to go fast!
DOES DUMP CAKE NEED TO BE REFRIGERATED?
This Cherry Dump Cake should be refrigerated for up to 3 days, and frozen for up to 3 months. It can be served chilled right out of the fridge or warmed slightly in the microwave and topped with ice cream or whipped cream.
For more easy desserts, try these:
- Pineapple Cobbler
- Twix Apple Fluff Salad
- Toasted Coconut No Churn Ice Cream
- No Bake Chocolate Oreo Cheesecake
For all desserts go HERE and for all recipes go HERE.
Chocolate Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake
- 1 14- ounce can pineapple in juice
- 1 14- ounce can cherry pie filling
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, sliced into 12 pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13"x9" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer pineapple (with the juice), then cherry pie filling in the baking dish. Sprinkle with chocolate cake mix, then arrange butter slices evenly over the top.
- Bake in the 350 degree oven for 50 minutes, or until fruit is bubbly is chocolate cake is cooked through and golden.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. I recommend topping with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
My mom used to make this cake when I was a kid. It’s delicious! Thanks for the recipe!
You are so welcome Emalie, thank you so much for taking the time to leave some positive feedback.
I made this today – with some tweaks because of what I had. I Used a 20 oz can cherry filling and of of pineapple – crushed and drained. It came out AMAZING!!! (I had my doubts but I am not doubting any more!) Baked it the right amount of time in a glass/pyrex dish. Thank you!!
You’re so welcome Jason DEE! thank you so much for stopping by!
I think it needs a whole 20 oz can of both pineapple and cherry pie filling. There wasn’t enough liquid for all the cake mix. Good flavors, we liked the pineapple chunks. I will make it again.
I was worried about how this would taste. It was incredible. One if the best desserts I have had. Just make it..you will like it.
Nice! Thank you Erica.
I love fruit and I love chocolate. I love pineapple and cherry. However, I don’t know that I see those 3 flavors together in one dish. I would like to see more reviews before I try this one.
You’d be surprised at how awesome the combo of chocolate and pineapple is!!