This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake recipe is one of the simplest desserts ever! Made with just 3 ingredients, it’s completely delicious and will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the perfect dessert.Pin this recipe for later!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Dessert
When you’re craving chocolate, you want it NOW. Or maybe that’s just me? But either way, this Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake recipe will satisfy that chocolate craving and then some!
The original dump cake is made with yellow cake, crushed pineapple, and cherry pie filling, but I mixed it up, using chocolate cake mix and eliminating the pineapple. It tastes just like a chocolate covered cherry!
Plus, it’s only 3 ingredients! Chocolate cake mix, cherry pie filling, and butter. Yes, really – that’s it!
The idea behind a Dump Cake is just that – dump it, put it in the oven and forget it. No stirring and you don’t even need a bowl – just the baking dish! I love easy recipes that don’t require a ton of prep work, and this dessert fits the bill.
How To Make Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
Let’s make this awesome dessert recipe, shall we?
I love this cake warm with a scoop of ice cream and a chocolate drizzle. But it’s also great at room temperature or straight out of the fridge.
Vanilla ice cream is a perfect complement to the flavors in the cake, but whipped cream is also delicious and a lighter option.
Yes! It’s the same recipe, except you layer it in a slow cooker instead of a baking dish. Grease the crockpot and layer the cherry pie filling, cake mix, and butter. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.
Refrigerate in an airtight container. It should remain fresh for 3-4 days.
Absolutely – any flavor of cake mix will work so feel free to play around and try different flavor combos.
Dump Cake Recipe Tips
- Make sure to use a 13×9 inch pan. I have used an 11×7-inch dish and it made the cake mix sit a little too thick. It still tasted amazing, but didn’t crumble like the top should and the mix was still powdery underneath the top layer.
- If you’ve got it, ice cream on top is a must!
- Do not overbake. In fact, having your cake be slightly under-done is totally acceptable.
- My favorite chocolate cake mix is good ol’ Betty Crocker, but you can use any that might be your favorite.
- Do not stir. The beauty of dump cake is that you don’t need to stir it! Just dump and bake.
- Try storing leftovers in individual containers for easy serving.
- Melting the butter ahead of time ensures an evenly rising cake.
Chocolate Dessert Recipes to Try Next
- Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- Chocolate Coconut Poke Cake
- Chocolate Snack Cake
- Slutty Brownies
- Chocolate Cream Pie
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- 42 ounces canned cherry pie filling 2 (21-ounce) cans
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13″x9″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread the cherry pie filling evenly across the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Carefully distribute the cake mix over the cherries in an even layer.
- Pour the melted butter over the cake mix and use a spoon to gently swirl the cake mix and butter together.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.