This Creamy Greek Chicken Bake has tender chicken breasts marinated in tangy Greek flavors, then smothered in a creamy mixture of Feta cheese, greek yogurt and cream cheese. A finishing garnish of chopped olives, tomatoes and cucumbers and more Feta cheese make this baked chicken as gorgeous as it is juicy and flavorful.
Greek Chicken typically has lemon and herb flavors, as well as a brined (salty) element like capers or olives. Feta cheese is also popular in Greek cuisine. This chicken bake combines all of those flavors into a rich and creamy dish that is so flavorful.
The chicken is marinated to tenderize and add flavor. Cream cheese, Feta cheese, and Greek yogurt are whipped together and spread on top of the chicken; it seems excessive but trust me, this will keep the chicken so moist and juicy you won’t believe it!
Greek Chicken Bake Recipe Overview
As beautiful as this dish is, it’s so simple to make.
- Marinate the chicken in lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, rosemary and garlic. At least 30 hours is recommended, but after 2 hours hours the acid in the lemon juice can start to “cook” the chicken, so in this recipe less is more. Arrange chicken side by side in a large baking dish.
- Whip together feta cheese, cream cheese and greek yogurt until nice and smooth. Use an electric mixer for best results. You can stir by hand, but use a wooden spoon. The yogurt helps add moisture to the topping, the cream cheese keeps it nice and creamy, and the feta adds a tangy, salty flavor.
- Bake the chicken in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. While the chicken is cooking, chop up veggies for the garnish if using.
- Serve hot, with some mashed potatoes, rice or homemade fries.
Top Tips and Recipe Notes
- If the chicken breasts are particularly thick, you’ll want to lightly pound them between two sheets of plastic wrap so they’re all even in thickness. This helps promote even cooking.
- Use a ceramic baking dish and spray it with cooking spray to keep food from sticking.
- For the garnish, keep it simple with chopped kalamata olives, cucumbers and tomatoes, served at room temperature. Or use our Greek Salsa recipe which would add even more flavor. You could also serve this on the side instead of on top.
- Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days and reheated in the microwave. They can be frozen for up to 3 months; thaw before reheating.
More Baked Chicken Recipes to Love
- BBQ Baked Chicken Thighs
- Baked Chicken Breasts
- Baked Salsa Chicken
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken
- Honey Butter Chicken
Baked Greek Chicken
- 2 lemons zested and juiced (about ⅓ cup juice)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 medium sized breasts)
- 6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 ounces brick cream cheese softened
- 1 cup grape tomatoes quartered
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- ½ cup Kalamata olives sliced
- Place chicken breasts in a large ziploc bag or between two pieces of plastic wrap and lightly pound the thicker end until they are of even thickness. Place chicken in a separate gallon sized resealable bag.
- In a small bowl, whisk together marinade ingredients until well combined. Pour over the chicken in the bag and massage to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Remove chicken from the fridge and place chicken breasts in the prepared baking dish side by side. Discard any leftover marinade.
- In a medium sized bowl, use a hand mixer to combine feta cheese, cream cheese and yogurt until well combined. It may not be perfectly smooth but it’s ok if it’s a little lumpy. Spread the cheese mixture evenly over the chicken.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and registers 165 degrees on a digital meat thermometer. (Depending on the thickness of the meat and true temp of your oven, actual cooking time may vary).
- While the chicken is baking, chop and mix together the olives, cucumbers and tomatoes. Set aside.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, then serve garnished with chopped olives, cucumber and tomatoes.