Cucumber Salad with Blueberries, Feta Cheese and a white balsamic dressing is a light and refreshing picnic side dish. It’s perfect to bring to a family gathering this summer!
CUCUMBER SALAD WITH BLUEBERRIES
Cucumbers are a pretty popular vegetable in our home- my kids eat them like they’re going out of style! These are an especially refreshing snack in the summer when it’s super hot outside and we’re just looking for healthy options that taste great.
Now I’ve seen a lot of cucumber salad recipes out there, and they tend to fall into a few categories. There are Cucumber Tomato salads. Asian-Inspired Cucumber Salads. And of course Creamy Cucumber Salads. All of these variations are seriously delicious, but I wanted to take this one in a slightly different direction.
You’ve got the nice crunch of your cucumbers. Sweetness from from the blueberries. And a nice, slightly salty zing from the feta cheese. Minced red onion and fresh basil add delicious flavor and white balsamic vinegar and olive oil make a simple but still tasty vinaigrette.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CUCUMBER SALAD RECIPE
- Peel the cucumbers, slice them in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and slice. The seeds can cause a little bit of indigestion which is why we usually just remove them. Chop the red onion as finely as you can and chiffonade the basil (I’ve got a great tutorial on the best way to do this!). Gently stir together the cucumbers, blueberries, feta cheese, onion, basil in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together olive oil, white balsamic vinegar and honey until well combined and pour over the salad. Feel free to adjust the amounts to your liking. Sweet or sour can be a personal taste.
- Toss everything together and season to taste with salt and pepper. Be sure to taste as you do this.
What if I don’t like feta cheese?
No problem – you can easily substitute with goat cheese or crumbly blue!
Can you prepare cucumber salad ahead of time?
Yes, up to a day in advance is best because it allows toe flavors to blend together well. However, I do recommend leaving the cheese out and adding it just before serving. Store prepped cucumber salad in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
How to store leftovers:
Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Freezing this recipe is not recommended.
More refreshing summer salads to enjoy:
Cucumber Salad with Blueberries and Feta Cheese
- 4 cups english cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeds scooped out and sliced (around 2 large English cucumbers)
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup Feta cheese
- 8-10 large fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl combine cucumbers, blueberries, red onion, Feta cheese and basil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar and honey until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.