Great with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate on Christmas morning, these Gingerbread Muffins are full of spices and topped with white sugar sprinkles for just a hint of sweetness. They are a perfect compliment to the sugar overload that is Christmas!
I have not always loved gingerbread. It wasn’t until I tried the Starbucks Gingerbread Loaf that I fell in love with the sweet and spicy flavors. Did you know that you could buy that stuff by the loaf? It’s wracked with calories though – I mean, the cream cheese frosting alone..I don’t even want to think about it! So i knew that if I wanted to be able to enjoy this traditional Christmas treat, I was going to have to find another recipe that would be a little easier to indulge in.
My kids aren’t fans of breads, but they love muffins, so I set out to find a recipe that was similar to Starbucks, but in a muffin form. The result was a muffin that is moist and slightly dense and absolutely delicious!
When I came across this recipe, I knew I’d found a winner. Try them for yourself!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup white sugar sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and salt with a whisk. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, stir together butter, brown sugar, applesauce, molasses and egg until combined.
- Add dry ingredients and milk and stir just until ingredients are combined. Over-mixing will result in a very dense muffin.
- Scoop batter evenly into muffin cups. (Using a ice cream scoop is helpful).
- Sprinkle sugar sprinkles on top of the muffin batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Adapted from A Beautiful Bite.
For more delicious muffins, be sure to try these: