Sweet chicken and apple sausage paired with tender pasta and creamy cheese sauce, all cooked in one pan for a quick and easy meal with just one pan to wash!
A couple of years ago I did a little riff on a little one pan pasta dish, and it has since become one of the most popular posts on this site – my One Pan Cheesy Sausage Pasta. I decided it was high time to reinvent that recipe when I picked up some Chicken Apple Sausage the last time I shopped.
My kids have always loved sausage of any kind. Not sure what it is about the stuff, but I kind of love it too. Call it a guilty pleasure. Although, this is chicken apple sausage, so it’s not quite as guilty.
Like all of my one pot meals, this one is incredibly easy to whip up when you’re in a hurry, since it takes just about 30 minutes from start to finish.
Start by browning the sausage and the onions, then add a bit of garlic. Stir in some apple juice with a little white wine vinegar to help de-glaze the pan.
Finally the pasta is added, along with diced tomatoes, chicken broth, heavy cream, dried sage and of course a little salt and pepper. It all comes to a boil then slow cooks the past at a nice simmer.
Once the pasta is cooked to al dente, the glorious cheddar (or Jack, or a mix of both) is sprinkled on top. I love fresh herbs so I usually sprinkle some on top no matter what I’m making, and I always have parsley on hand. It works perfectly here.
One Pan Chicken Apple Sausage PastaPrint Pin Rate
- 1 pound Chicken Apple Sausage
- 1 small onion diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1-14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups small dry pasta
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese cheddar or jack
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- In a 5 quart skillet or pot, heat about a tablespoon of olive over medium-high. Add sausage and onions and cook until onions are soft and sausage is browned. Add garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Pour apple juice and white wine vinegar into the pan. Stir, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta and seasonings. Bring to a boil and cover, reduce heat to low. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring once, until pasta is tender.
- Top with shredded cheddar or jack cheese. Cover and let cheese melt.
- Serve immediately.
For more One Pan Meals, try these:
And to get a FREE download of our eCookbook featuring 20 of our most popular One Pot Meals at your fingertips,
subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.