Back to school is on our minds, so why not skip dinner worries with these Asian chicken drumsticks in the slow cooker! Quick, simple, and easily broiled to perfection after a long day of work.
Hello! I am Kacey from The Cookie Writer here today to share with you a wonderful slow cooker recipe that will surely plant itself onto your regular dinner menu.
I can spend hours in the kitchen with no worries, but this is not the same for many. Slow cooker recipes are becoming more common in our household not only to beat the heat, but because they are just so simple! Asian chicken drumsticks in the slow cooker sounds like a standard dinner, but you can transform it into so much more!
We usually serve them over rice, but my husband has recently gotten into de-meating the chicken before storing, allowing us to take that chicken a step further. Wraps, pasta salads, pizza, you name it! More times than not we already have a dinner planned and I still throw these on because they can utilize us in the future.
So now you know I am all about leftovers, but something else I am big on is being frugal and seeing how far a dollar can take us. Yes, boneless skinless chicken breasts are awesome and convienient, but they are also quite expensive. These Asian chicken drumsticks use a cheap cut of meat and transform into a flavourful dinner for the entire family. Plus, meat on the bone has more flavour AND reduces the chances of dry meat (but don’t let this fool you, you can still overcook any meat!)
Obviously your slow cooker isn’t going to get you that beautiful, crispy, toasty skin that oven-baked would, but I easily fix this issue by broiling the chicken for a few minutes in the oven. It takes little effort and really makes a difference. You can also broil or sear your chicken before adding to the slow cooker, but let’s be honest, the whole point of the slow cooker is to get the meal in there as quick as possible and let it do its thing! So you can broil before or after, but whatever way you choose, you will surely love these Asian chicken drumsticks in the slow cooker! PS: Easily sub in your favorite cut of chicken here if drumsticks are not your thing! Cooking times will vary on size/cut of meat.
Asian Chicken Drumsticks in the Slow Cooker
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken drumsticks
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/8 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. freshly chopped ginger
- Arrange chicken in 6-quart slow cooker. Season with salt, pepper, and pepper flakes.
- Combine sauce ingredients and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low heat for 4-5 hours, or until chicken is cooked through (160-165F.)
- For crispy skin, broil your chicken until golden! You can also do this before placing into the slow cooker but I find the final broiling to yield great results!
- Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds if desired. Serve over rice.
- Note: My husband tends to remove all the meat after cooking and throw it into a big batch of rice!
Love these Asian chicken drumsticks in the slow cooker?! Try some of these recipes:
For more delicious Slow Cooker Recipes, try these:
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.