This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker Crack Chicken is so simple and it makes the best sandwiches! With just a few simple ingredients combined in your crock pot, crack chicken is a real crowd pleaser!
Crack Chicken Sandwiches are easy to make and a party and family favorite. Serve them picnic style with some chips and fruit on the side, or make it a real show-stopping meal with some Homemade Baked French Fries, Potato Salad or Beer Battered Onion Rings.Pin this recipe for later!
Table of Contents
What is Crack Chicken?
If you’ve never heard of or tried Crack Chicken, you’re in for a real treat. The concept is that it’s so good and so addictive that you can’t help going back for more. Somewhere along the way, the internet decided that the combination of chicken, cheese, bacon and ranch was so good you just can’t stay away – Crack Chicken.
It’s rumored to have started at a fried fish joint in Michigan, where the seasoning they put on their chicken wings was just so good the customers started calling it crack.
You’ve got a total of 5 ingredients, plus a garnish if you want to add it.
- Chicken breast – seems a given that something called “crack chicken” would start off with chicken breasts. But here we are.
- Ranch dressing mix – You just need a tablespoon of the seasoning, and that’s about half of the small packet. Or if you buy the stuff in bulk, just grab some of that.
- Cream cheese – Use the full-fat brick style cream cheese; the spread or low fat just don’t work as well.
- Bacon – cook crisp and chopped up.
- Shredded cheese – I’m partial to sharp cheddar, and that’s usually how crack chicken comes, but feel free to go against the grain and try something different. Like mild cheddar.
You can add some chives or green onion for garnish, but since it’s optional it doesn’t get a number.
How to Make Slow Cooker Crack Chicken Sandwiches
Now that you’ve got the ingredients, let make some Slow Cooker Crack Chicken Sandwiches!
Get a detailed list of ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below.
Slow Cooker Crack Chicken:
- Place the chicken in your slow cooker
- Top with the cream cheese and ranch seasoning. No mixing needed, just dump it all in with the cream cheese and seasoning on top.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours. If the internal temp of the chicken has reached 165 degrees F, it’s done cooking. You can also cook it on low for 4-5 hours, but I recommend high for best results.
- Shred the chicken.
- Add shredded cheese and bacon.
- Mix everything together.
- Sprinkle some chopped chives over the top.
Make the sandwiches.
Grab some gorgeous hamburger buns; something larger and preferably with sesame seeds – I just think it looks prettier. Toast them in the oven and stuff them with the Slow Cooker Crack Chicken.
Crack Chicken Sandwiches are a super easy lunch or dinner. I like to keep it simple and serve with some potato chips and raw veggies with ranch dip. If you want something a little more substantial, serve with a garden salad, Easy Homemade French Fries, or Fried Zucchini.
Or, skip the sandwiches altogether and serve crack chicken over rice or baked potatoes. You can also serve it as a dip with crackers or potato chips. This stuff is so versatile!
Make Ahead, Leftovers, and Freezing
Make Ahead: Since you’re making Crack Chicken in the crock pot, it’s already a make in advance sort of dish. If you wanted to make it a day in advance, you could, but I definitely recommend serving it fresh. Just cover and keep refrigerated, then reheat in your slow cooker on the warm setting for about 30 minutes.
Storing leftovers: If you have leftover, keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave for individual portions, or if you have a family sized amount, reheat in your slow cooker.
Freezing: Place leftovers in an airtight, freezer safe container and freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the slow cooker or microwave.
Doubling: You can easily double this recipe if your crock pot is big enough.
More Chicken recipes to love
- Chicken Taco Casserole
- Chicken and Rice Bake
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Stew
Slow Cooker Crack Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast (3-4 breasts)
- 1 1-ounce packet ranch seasoning mix (2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces block cream cheese
- ½ pound bacon cooked crisp and crumbled, more or less to taste
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese or more to taste
- Fresh chopped chives for garnish
- Salt and pepper, optional, and to taste
- Sandwich buns
- Optional sandwich toppings: extra bacon, chives, Ranch dressing drizzle
- Add chicken to the slow cooker and sprinkle with Ranch seasoning mix and garlic powder. Place the block of cream cheese on top of the chicken. Cover and cook on high for 2.5-3 hours or low for about 4-5 hours.
- Remove the lid and shred the chicken right in the pot using two forks. Stir in the chopped bacon and shredded cheddar. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Scoop onto sandwich buns, top with extra bacon and chives if you have them, or a drizzle of ranch dressing. Also delicious in tortilla wraps, over rice, or in baked potatoes.