This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken has all the convenience of your favorite takeout that’s easily made at home in your slow cooker. The chicken is tender and flavorful, with an amazingly sweet and sticky sauce that is absolutely delicious.
If you’ve ever had teriyaki chicken at a fast food takeout joint, you know that while it may satisfy a craving, the flavor and texture can be a little questionable. Luckily I’ve created several better-than-takeout recipes that you can make at home, like Egg Fried Rice, Crockpot Orange Chicken and of course this Teriyaki Chicken!
CROCK POT TERIYAKI CHICKEN RECIPE
We love Chinese takeout. There’s something so comforting about those little white takeout boxes stuffed to the brim with our favorite guilty pleasures. Get all the pleasure with none of the guilt by making these recipes at home!
Chicken breasts can be tricky in the slow cooker and it’s best when cooked quicker and at a high temperature. This will keep the chicken juicy and tender, and not at all dried out or stringy. This teriyaki chicken is pretty forgiving though, because once it’s coated in the thick sauce all bets are off.
WHAT IS TERIYAKI SAUCE MADE OF?
- Minced garlic
- Minced ginger
- Brown sugar
- Low sodium soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
WHAT DOES TERIYAKI SAUCE TASTE LIKE?
Teriyaki chicken is grilled or otherwise cooked chicken coated in a sweet and salty glaze. Teriyaki sauce is sticky and gooey, with a slight tang and sweetness that’s gets it’s umami flavor from the soy sauce base.
HOW TO MAKE TERIYAKI CHICKEN IN YOUR SLOW COOKER
- Place 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast in the bottom of a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients and pour over the chicken.
- Place the lid on top of the slow cooker and set it to high for 3-3 ½ hours, or low for 5-6 hours. The high setting is recommended, because the longer chicken breasts cook, the more moisture they lose. and it can result in dry, stringy chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred or dice into large chunks.
- Pour the sauce through a wire strainer and into a small saucepan. Whisk together a little bit of water and cornstarch for thickening, then simmer the sauce for several minutes.
- Place the chicken back in the slow cooker and pour the sauce over it, or combine the chicken and sauce in the saucepan until the chicken is completely coated in sauce.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CROCK POT TERIYAKI CHICKEN
More Better Than Takeout recipes you’ll love:
- Ground Turkey Teriyaki Rice Bowl
- Baked Teriyaki Salmon Lettuce Wraps
- Beef and Broccoli
- Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Kung Pao Chicken
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Sliced green onions for garnish
- Place the chicken breasts in a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, ginger, honey, brown sugar, soy sauce and rice vinegar. Pour the soy sauce mixture over the chicken. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-3 ½ hours or on LOW for 5-6 hours. (high is recommended).
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred into large chunks with two forks.
- Pour the sauce from the slow cooker through a strainer and into a medium saucepan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch until dissolved. Whisk into the saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes or just until sauce has thickened.
- Place the chicken back into the slow cooker, pour in the sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve with rice and garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.