This easy to make One Pan Caprese Pasta is perfect as a light and fresh main course or as a delicious side dish to your favorite meal.
This Caprese Pasta is light and fresh and has the savory flavors of the classic appetizer you love, with sweet grape tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese and fresh basil leaves. The aroma of the basil and tomatoes as it’s cooking is just heavenly!
This beautiful dish is surprisingly easy to make, and I love that the colors feel like Christmas. (Especially since it’s currently 95 degrees at 7 pm). Wouldn’t this be a great Christmas side dish?
Here are the tools you will need:
Start by cooking some onion in a little olive oil. Add dry pasta – I love the larger Rigatoni with this dish, but any smaller pasta will do – fresh basil leaves, garlic and sliced grape tomatoes. Pour water or chicken broth over the pasta and give it a good stir.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn down the heat and cover it up, letting the pasta cook and absorb the flavors for about ten minutes. Then remove the cover and crank up the heat, letting the remaining liquid reduce down for about seven minutes or so.
Once the pasta is cooked just right, remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle on some cubed mozzarella cheese. You could certainly use shredded mozzarella, I just prefer to have these nice chunks of melted cheese throughout the pasta. The fresh cheese melts much better than the pre-shredded. You might want to remove those cooked basil leaves, too.
Cover the pan and let the pasta rest and the cheese melt for about ten minutes. Top with a sprinkling of Balsamic Vinegar (my favorite part!) and chopped basil leaves and serve hot.
One Pan Caprese Pasta
Yield 4 main dish servings
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups dry pasta
- 1 package of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 5 fresh whole basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh, diced Mozzarella (about 8 oz)
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- Chopped basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat a 12 inch skillet or saute pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft.
- Add dry pasta, sliced tomatoes, fresh whole basil leaves, garlic, water, salt and pepper. Stir together to combine.
- Bring pasta mixture to a boil. Continue to cook pasta over medium heat, stirring often, until pasta is cooked and the liquid is reduced; about ten minutes.
- Top evenly with mozzarella cubes and cover the pan so the cheese can melt.
- Sprinkle with Balsamic vinegar and chopped basil for garnish.
For more delicious one pan meals, be sure to try:
For all one pan meals, go HERE.
For all recipes on the site, go HERE.
*this post contains affiliate links