Cinnamon Roll Cake is a like a moist, gooey cinnamon roll without the work! A delicious white cake swirled with a buttery brown sugar cinnamon topping with a sweet cream cheese frosting.
This cinnamon roll cake recipe is the perfect compromise between a delicious cinnamon roll and an easy cake recipe. Add it to your collection, right between our easy Banana Cake and delicious Coffee Cake.
This recipe is quick to throw together and makes your house smell amazing as it bakes. The cake comes out doughy and dense like a cinnamon roll and the cinnamon brown sugar topping provides that gooey and unmistakable cinnamon roll flavor.
Cinnamon Roll Cake Ingredients
- For the cake – flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and butter.
- Topping – Brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter.
- Cream cheese frosting – cream cheese (room temperature), butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk.
How to Make Cinnamon Roll Cake
Make the cake batter. Using a stand mixer, bead the cake ingredients together for a few minutes, or until there are no more lumps. Drizzle in the melted butter. Pour into a cake pan.
Swirl in cinnamon topping. Mix together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter. Swirl the topping into the cake with a butter knife.
Bake the cake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely
Make the frosting. Beat cream cheese and butter together until fluffy. Then beat in the powdered sugar milk and vanilla. You want a nice, smooth consistency for spreading.
Frost the cake. Spread cream cheese frosting evenly over the cake.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Storage: Cover cake with foil or plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. Let sit out for 30 minutes before serving.
- Freezing: Wrap tightly and freeze for 3-4 months. Thaw in the refrigerator.
- Make ahead: You can make this cake up to a day in advance. Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
More Sweet Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love
- Baked Cinnamon French Toast Casserole
- Crunchy French Toast with Fruity Pebbles
- Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
- Homemade Waffles
Cinnamon Roll Cake
For the cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup butter melted
For the topping
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 12 tablespoons butter mostly melted and slightly cooled
For the frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add all cake ingredients except for melted butter. Mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, or until no lumps remain. Slowly add in melted butter in two increments and mix well after each addition.
- Pour cake batter into cake pan and spread evenly.
- In a small bowl, add all topping ingredients. Stir well. Pour mixture over cake batter.
- Using a butter knife, swirl the topping throughout the cake. Make sure to swirl all the way to the bottom.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Bake for additional time if necessary.
- While cake is cooling, add cream cheese and butter to a bowl. Using either a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat on medium until well combined and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Beat again until light and fluffy.
- Once cake is completely cooled, spread frosting evenly over the cake.