Don’t let those ripe bananas go to waste! Whip up this tender, fluffy Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and bring a little taste of the tropics to your summer party!
Today I’m sharing a recipe for banana cake with a classic cream cheese frosting. But just to make it a little fancy, I’ve added some crushed pineapple to the frosting. And then sprinkled it with toasted coconut, because I couldn’t stop myself. Having all the flavors of a pina colada in a cake cannot be a bad thing! (Okay, Pina Coladas do not technically have bananas in them, but I think they should because bananas and pineapples should be married. They make the best flavor combo ever.) If you just want a straight-up banana cake with cream cheese frosting, feel free to leave out the pineapple and coconut.
I recently saw a meme stating that we buy bananas to watch them die a slow death. This sounds slightly depressing until you remember all the delicious things you can make with brown bananas! Things like Chocolate Marbled Banana Bread, Whole Wheat Banana Bread, and Banana Nut Bars with Cinnamon Cream Frosting.
This is a nice, big, fluffy cake made in a 9×13 pan. It’s perfect to take to picnics and parties.
How to Make Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat your oven. Grease and flour a baking dish.
- Make sour milk. Set aside. Mix the mashed bananas with lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients
- Mix together the dry ingredients, then alternate adding the dry ingredients and milk to the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the bananas, and pour into the baking dish. Bake until cake is cooked and tender. Cool completely.
- Mix together frosting ingredients. Spread over cooled cake.
If you want to get fancy, you can sprinkle some toasted coconut on top, and even add pecans if you wish. One thing is for sure. This cake is a crowd-pleaser!
Looking for more ways to use up your browning bananas?
- Coconut Banana Bread with Orange Glaze
- Sour Cream Banana Muffins
- Caramel Banana Bread
- Orange Coconut Banana Muffins
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the Banana Cake
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice divided
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Banana Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan.
- Measure 1 1/2 cups of milk, and add 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mashed bananas with the other tablespoon of lemon juice and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the 2/3 cup vegetable oil with the granulated and brown sugar. Then add the eggs one at a time, stirring well after each egg. Add the teaspoon of vanilla and mix well.
- Add 1 cup of the flour along with the 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda to the large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of the milk/lemon juice mixture and blend.
- Add another cup of flour and mix. Then another 1/2 cup of milk and mix. Repeat with the remaining one cup of flour and 1/2 cup of milk.
- Fold in the bananas, and pour into your prepared 9x13 pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs.
- Let the cake cool completely, and then frost with the Cream Cheese Frosting.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream together the 8 ounces of cream cheese and 1/3 cup of butter until fluffy.
- Add 3 cups of the powdered sugar and mix well.
- Blend in the vanilla extract and add up to an extra 1/2 cup of powdered sugar until your desired consistency is reached. Spread on the cooled cake.