This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are moist and tender and fluffy muffins stuffed with loads of chocolate and bananas. Perfect for an after school snack or breakfast treat.
My family will eat these muffins any time of the day. They love these as a quick grab and go breakfast, or as a delicious lunch box treat. They are easy to make and easy to freeze so you always have muffins on hand. I like to have choices so along with Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins, I’m always making Lemon Blueberry Muffins, Zucchini Carrot Oatmeal Muffins, and Banana Bran Muffins.
The Best Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
These are the best muffins and definitely a favorite in our house.
- They are simple to make with simple ingredients.
- Even those who don’t eat bananas love these banana muffins.
- They are super moist and tender and there is chocolate in every bite.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Bananas – when you’ve got some bananas on the counter that are starting to look a little brown, it’s time to mash them up and make Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins!
Chocolate Chips – I used semi-sweet, but you could use milk chocolate or a combo of both, mini chocolate chips, or even white chocolate.
Dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon.
Wet ingredients – honey, egg, butter, milk, and brown sugar. Instead of butter you could use oil for a fluffier Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin. (I know brown sugar isn’t a liquid, but it melts into the bowl so we’re using it in this category).
How to Make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Mash up the banana with a fork. The peel should be turning or already fully brown, but not the insides. You want the banana to still be mostly yellow. Pro tip – throw uneaten brown bananas in the freezer until you have time to make muffins. They’re good in smoothies too.
Combine ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl using a whisk to get everything well incorporated with no lumps. In another bowl, mix the mashed bananas with all of the wet ingredients, including the brown sugar. Then mix everything together and add the chocolate chips.
Bake. Fill a 12 count muffin pan with liners or spray the cups with nonstick cooking spray. Use a large cookie scoop to fill the cups evenly, then bake them in a preheated 450 degree F oven and bake for 5 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 and continue baking for 15 minutes.
Two baking temperatures produce tall, rounded muffins with a slightly crispy exterior while delivering a soft and fluffy interior.
How to Store and Freeze Muffins
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins are perfect to hand on hand when you’re on the go and need a quick snack or breakfast.
Storage: Muffins should be stored at room temperature in a plastic bag or other airtight container and will remain fresh for 2-3 days.
Freezer: Allow muffins to cool completely, then place in a freezer bag or freezer safe, airtight container. Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins will remain fresh for up to 6 month. Thaw at room temperature overnight for best results, or pop a frozen in the microwave for 15-30 seconds to defrost immediately.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- You can add up to 1½ cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips for a sweeter muffin taste.
- This batter should fill 12 muffin cups perfectly. Try using a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop for even portions.
- To reheat muffins, put the microwave inside a damp paper towel for 15-20 seconds per muffin.
More muffins to try
- Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake Muffins
- Monkey Bread Muffins
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Muffins
- Carrot Apple Raisin Muffins
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large bananas
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup butter soften
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Mash the three bananas together until they have a smooth and creamy texture.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large, separate mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, brown sugar, honey, eggs, butter, milk and vanilla. Mix until combined smoothly.
- Pour the flour mixture into the second mixing bowl. Stir until both mixtures are combined smoothly.
- Pour in the chocolate chips, mix well.
- Place paper muffin cups inside muffin tin. Pour batter to the top of each muffin cup, leaving just enough room to keep the paper cup visible.
- Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Once time is complete, leave the muffins inside the oven, lower the baking temperature down to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool before eating.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.