This Creamy Chicken Cobb Pasta Salad has all the flavors of the classic Cobb Salad, like hard boiled eggs, avocado and blue cheese, in a delicious cold pasta salad. Perfect for spring and summer picnics!
If you’ve never had a Cobb Salad, you really don’t know what you’re missing. My dad wasn’t a fan of the “meal salad” too much but he absolutely loved this one. Could have been all the salty bacon and tangy blue cheese, because that’s my favorite part too!
There are lots of different variations of this salad out there, but the original was actually the result of a 1930’s restaurant owner’s late night hunger pillage through his restaurant’s kitchen. It consisted of three different kinds of lettuces, chicken, tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, chives, bacon, cheese and some French dressing. You don’t usually see Cobb Salad served with French dressing in restaurants anymore, but certainly the other ingredients have been the mainstays of the recipe.
When I order this salad it’s usually with a vinaigrette type of dressing. But for this pasta salad version I wanted something light but creamy. I combined Bob’s Lite Blue Cheese Dressing with sour cream, mayonnaise and some Dijon mustard. The salad itself is made up of small pasta (like Rotini, macaroni, bowtie, etc.) and is full of all kinds of Cobb-y goodness, like chicken, Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, green onions, hard boiled eggs and avocado. (Want to know how to make perfect hard boiled eggs every time? Check out THIS POST).
Seasoned with just a little salt and pepper (careful with the salt – the bacon and blue cheese are pretty salty on their own), this Creamy Cobb Pasta Salad is a guaranteed winner every time!
Creamy Chicken Cobb Pasta Salad
Yield 6 -8 servings
- 8 ounces small pasta, like macaroni or rotini
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- ½ cup Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup chopped Romaine lettuce
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded and chopped chicken breast
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 4 ounces Blue Cheese crumbles, divided
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water, following the directions on the package. Drain, rinse, and set aside to cool (or chill in the fridge if you’re in a hurry).
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, blue cheese dressing and Dijon mustard. Season with fresh ground black pepper to taste. Stir in cooled pasta to coat completely.
- With the pasta, gently stir in the chicken, bacon (1 tablespoon reserved for topping), tomatoes, green onions and about 3 ounces of the blue cheese. Top with remaining bacon and blue cheese crumbles.
- Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Store in a tightly sealed container for up to 4 days.
I absolutely love blue cheese, so I used the whole 4 ounces in my pasta salad. However, if you want a milder tasting salad, add half of the cheese, then taste, and add more if you wish.
Love pasta salads? You might also enjoy these: