These Ground Turkey and Black Bean Baked Tacos and just right for a healthy, quick and easy weeknight family meal. Seasoned turkey and black beans stuffed into crispy taco shells and topped with melted cheddar cheese – it’s dinnertime perfection!
When it comes to dinnertime, quick and easy is the name of the game. And is there really anything tastier and easier than tacos? Pretty much no! We love tacos – chicken tacos, beef tacos, carnitas tacos…we love them all. Baked Tacos are my absolute favorite meal to cook, and I love to experiment with different types of meat and flavors.
I have a shredded chicken and black bean version of these baked tacos, but ground turkey is so easy to work with and if you season it just right you won’t even miss the beef! Ground turkey recipes are much healthier than beef but have the same texture so it’s easy to swap it out without your family being any wiser!
How to make Ground Turkey and Black Bean Baked Tacos
This easy meal idea starts with flavoring the ground turkey. This is the most important part in any ground turkey recipe because turkey on it’s own doesn’t have a ton of flavor. Adding onion, garlic and taco seasoning will provide a ton of Mexican flavor for your ground turkey and black bean baked tacos. Once the meat is cooked and seasoned, chicken broth is added to help the meat absorb the flavors and keep it from getting dry.
Once the meat and black beans are cooked and coated in that delicious sauce, you can serve your tacos up right away or use my favorite method and create some yummy baked tacos.
Tacos shells (these are our favorite [aff] but you could also make your own) are stuffed with the ground turkey and black bean mixture then topping with a generous helping of shredded cheese and baked to crispy, melty, golden perfection. Now you can enjoy these tacos as is or add all of your favorite toppings – tacos are the ultimate customizable meal!
Ground Turkey & Black Bean Baked TacosPrint Pin Rate
- Olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced yellow onion about 1 small
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 10-12 Taco Shells
- 2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- Your favorite taco toppings - lettuce tomatoes, sour cream, olives, avocado, etc.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a large rectangular baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large (12-inch) skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add diced onion and cook until beginning to soften; 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then crumble in ground turkey. Cook until no longer pink; about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in taco seasoning and tomato paste and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth and black beans. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened; about 7-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Arrange taco shells in a large rectangular baking dish (you may need more than one baking dish, depending on the size). Using a slotted spoon, scoop about 2-3 tablespoons of the meat mixture into each taco shell. Top with 1-2 tablespoons of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes, or until cheese is melted and taco shells are crispy and just beginning to brown.
- Top with your favorite toppings, like lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream. Serve immediately.
- Leftover can be store in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container for up to 2 days.
Here’s another delicious ground turkey recipe we love:
And here are even more ground turkey recipes to try: