This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Mandarin Orange Salad is a fluffy, sweet treat that has the flavors of an old fashioned orange creamsicle! Only 5 simple ingredients are needed to make this fun jello salad.
Also called orange fluff salad or orange jello salad, this recipe is a classic at potlucks and holidays. It’s not only nostalgic but super quick to make – just a quick mix of the ingredients and it’s ready to serve.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
- You only need 5 simple ingredients.
- No cooking needed, just mix it up and serve.
- Fast to make and can even be made in advance.
Ingredients For Mandarin Orange Salad
You only need 5 simple ingredients to make the classic orange jello salad!
- Cool Whip – You can find this in the freezer section. It’s important to use a tub whipped topping – you won’t get the same results with an aerosol whipped cream.
- Sour Cream – Use a full fat. You can substitute plain yogurt but you won’t get the same flavor.
- Orange-Flavored Gelatin – A classic box of Jell-O.
- Canned Mandarin Oranges – Make sure to drain the oranges.
- Mini Marshmallows
How To Make Mandarin Orange Salad with Cool Whip
Get a detailed list of ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below.
All you need are 10 minutes and 5 ingredients to make this easy recipe.
- Mix Cool Whip – Start by gently mixing together the Cool Whip and sour cream in a large bowl before stirring in the gelatin mix.
- Fold – Then gently fold in the mandarin oranges and mini marshmallows.
- Serve or Store – Transfer the orange fluff salad to a serving bowl or store in the fridge, tightly covered for up to 48 hours.
You can stir in almost any fruit! Some favorites are pineapple, strawberries, and maraschino cherries.
Jello salad first became popular in the 1940s/1950s but it continues to be a favorite today! It is especially popular in the South and Midwest and a staple at church picnics and potlucks.
I love that this is a treat that can be served after the meal as dessert or alongside the meal as a sweet side dish. Pair it with other potluck favorites like a summer fruit salad or classic macaroni salad.
- Strawberry Gelatin – Try swapping in strawberry gelatin and sliced strawberries to make a Strawberries & Cream Salad.
- Pineapple – Try adding canned pineapple tidbits (make sure to drain) for another fruity spin.
- Toppings – If you want to add some crunch and texture, try topping with some chopped nuts or flaked coconut.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge, tightly covered, for up to 2 days.
- Drain the Oranges – Make sure to drain the liquid from the canned mandarin oranges or the liquid will water down the salad.
- Gently Fold – When adding the marshmallows and oranges, make sure to gently fold so you don’t deflate the fluffy whipped topping.
More Sweet Salad Recipes
- Pistachio Salad
- Sour Cream Salad
- Cranberry Fluff Salad
- Homemade Cranberry Orange Sauce
- Summer Fruit Salad
Mandarin Orange Salad
- 10 ounces Cool Whip thawed (1 container)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 ounce package orange-flavored gelatin
- 15 ounce can mandarin oranges well drained
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Combine Cool whip and sour cream in a large mixing bowl. Stir in gelatin until well combined. Gently fold in oranges and marshmallows.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or store in the fridge, tightly covered for up to 48 hours. Stir well before serving.