This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This mildly spicy Mexican Meatloaf is a new take on an old classic! With chorizo and salsa in the mix, it’s a flavor combination your whole family will love!
When I think of meatloaf, I remember Sunday dinners with my mom’s classic meatloaf. She never used a recipe. She just dumped in some breadcrumbs, eggs, tomato sauce, and some salt and pepper. But since I am a food blogger and like to get a little crazy, I’ve expanded on this simple, classic meatloaf recipe.
I’m spicing things up with this Mexican Meatloaf. What makes this meatloaf “Mexican?” This homemade meatloaf has chorizo and salsa mixed in with the beef, and that’s all topped off with a sweet and spicy sauce spiced with cayenne.
Ingredients for Mexican Meatloaf
- lean ground turkey or beef
- chorizo sausage
- onion soup mix
- chili powder
- cayenne pepper
If you’ve never heard of chorizo (or used it) before, that’s okay! It’s a spicy Mexican sausage and you can find it in the butcher section of your local grocery store. This recipe uses just a little bit, but if you REALLY like things spicy, you can always use more!
I use a mix of ground turkey, ground beef, and chorizo for this Mexican Meatloaf, but you can use all turkey or all beef if you like. (And if you forget to defrost your meat ahead of time, happens to me all the time, try my tip for how to quickly thaw ground beef.) The addition of the salsa and chorizo adds just a touch of heat that’s so tasty! But to really take this meatloaf over the top, you MUST add the topping! It’s a sweet and spicy kick you’ll love!
Want more meaty recipes your family will love?
- Instant Pot Spicy Shredded Mexican Beef
- Dad’s Classic Meatloaf Recipe
- Chopped Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup salsa any kind
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 packet Lipton onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 pounds lean turkey or beef or a combination
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl or food processor, beat the eggs. Add the salsa, water, and soup mix, and mix well.
- Add the bread crumbs and mix. Then add the ground turkey/beef and chorizo. Mix well.
- Put in a 9x5 loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Spread over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake for 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours. Let sit for ten minutes after removing from the oven before cutting and serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
For more great Mexican recipes, try these!
Secret Ingredient Pico de Gallo