Chopped Steaks with Mushroom Gravy – An easy recipe for tender and juicy hamburger steaks that are smothered in a delicious mushroom gravy! These chopped steaks and gravy are made simple in one pan and ready in less than 30 minutes.
When it comes to comfort food, chopped steaks are one of my absolute favorites. We have a restaurant in my town that makes a really amazing hamburger steak and I order it as often as I can! But, eating out isn’t always that economical, nor do I always have the time. So, I had to create my own chopped steak and gravy at home. I have to say, I think they are even better than what the local restaurant serves!
Besides the fact that I crave these steaks on a regular basis, I love making them at home during the busy holiday season because they are so quick and easy. When I’m busy prepping for holiday baking and meals, I don’t want to have to really think hard about our weeknight supper.
Plus, I’m always looking for new and exciting things to do with that ground beef that’s hanging out in my refrigerator!
How to make Chopped Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
Ingredient wise, I really consider everything here a “pantry staple.” These steaks can be described as kind of a mini meatloaf. But, they can be made right on your stovetop! No heating up the oven! Now, occasionally I don’t have the mushrooms to go along with this recipe. So if you don’t have them, or if you aren’t a fan, you can just simply leave them out!
One thing you will notice with this recipe is that the chopped steaks get seared first on each side. However, they won’t be completely cooked through. That’s ok! Set them aside on a plate and cover them with foil to keep warm while you whip up the gravy. This gravy only takes five minutes to make, so your beef will stay nice and hot, no problem!
After about 3-5 minutes your gravy will start to thicken up, at that point, you add your patties back to the pan. Then, they simmer to super tender, juicy, flavorful perfection!
I love serving these chopped steaks up with my Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes for a truly decadent, unforgettable, weeknight meal!
Chopped Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Egg lightly beaten
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Small Onion Sliced
- 1 Cup Sliced Mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- In a large bowl mix together the ground beef, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and breadcrumbs.
- Form the meat mixture into 4 balls, then flatten into patties.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions, mushrooms, and hamburger patties to the skillet.Fry the patties for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and mushrooms in the skillet. Stir the flour in, cooking for one minute.
- Slowly pour the beef broth into the skillet using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook the gravy for 3-5 minutes until thickened.
- Add the patties back to the pan, simmer for 10 more minutes until beef is cooked through and gravy is thickened.
Here is another delicious hamburger recipe that we love:
And here are a few more delicious ground beef recipes:
- Easy Beef & Macaroni Soup (Goulash Soup)
- Ground Beef & Noodle Stir Fry
- One Pan Cheesy Beef & Tomato Pasta Skillet