Chopped Steaks with Mushroom Gravy – An easy recipe for tender and juicy hamburger steaks that are smothered in a delicious mushroom gravy! These chopped steaks and gravy are made simple in one pan and ready in less than 30 minutes.
Why We Love This Recipe
When it comes to comfort food, chopped steaks are one of my absolute favorites. So I had to create my own chopped steak and gravy at home.
Besides the fact that I crave these hamburger steaks on a regular basis, I love making them at home during the busy holiday season because they are so quick and easy.
Plus, I’m always looking for new and exciting things to do with that ground beef that’s hanging out in my refrigerator!
What Is Chopped Steak?
Chopped steaks are usually made from sirloin steak that’s been ground up. It’s basically ground beef, but a leaner cut. Some also refer to these as hamburger steaks since they are virtually the same thing.
All of these ingredients I would consider to be “pantry staples.” I almost always have everything on hand.
- Ground Beef – For this recipe, you’ll want to pick up some ground sirloin, which is a leaner meat with a ratio of 90/10-85/15.
- Plain Bread Crumbs and Egg – Both act as a binder for the meat, similar to a mini meatloaf.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Seasonings – Garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. You are free to season any way you like.
- Vegetable Oil – Just a little, for frying the meat patties.
- All-Purpose Flour – The thickener for the gravy.
- Mushrooms – If you don’t have them, or if you aren’t a fan, you can just simply leave them out. They are absolutely delicious in this gravy.
- Onions – Also for the gravy and delicious.
- Beef Broth – For the gravy.
How To Make Chopped Steaks With Mushroom Gravy
These steaks can be described as kind of a mini meatloaf with brown gravy. But, they can be made right on your stovetop – no heating up the oven!
- Mix the meat and form the steak patties. In a large mixing bowl, use your hands to combine the ground beef with Worcestershire sauce, egg, breadcrumbs, and seasonings. Divide into 4 sections and form into thick patties.
- Sear the meat. Heat oil in a large, preferably cast iron, skillet and fry the steak patties for about 2-3 minutes per side. The chopped steaks are seared on each side but they won’t be completely cooked through. That’s ok! Set them aside on a plate and cover them with foil to keep warm while you whip up the gravy.
- Make the gravy. Add onions, mushrooms, and flour to the skillet and cook for a minute, then add beef broth and scrape up all the bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Simmer for several minutes or until the gravy begins to thicken.
- Finish the beef patties. After about 3-5 minutes your gravy will start to thicken up, at that point, you add your patties back to the pan. Then, simmer them to super tender, juicy, flavorful perfection!
What To Serve With Chopped Steaks
As comfort food goes, this meal is pretty high on the list. Some of my favorite things to serve with it are too. Pick a couple of these side dishes to serve with your steaks:
- Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Easy Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Roasted Broccolini
- Best Ever Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Homemade Garlic Breadsticks
- Caesar Salad
What To Do With Leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw before reheating, and reheat in the microwave for 60 seconds or until heated through.
More Recipes With Ground Beef
- Easy Beef & Macaroni Soup (Goulash Soup)
- Ground Beef & Noodle Stir Fry
- One Pan Cheesy Beef & Tomato Pasta Skillet
- Hamburger Soup
Chopped Steaks with Mushroom Gravy
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- In a large bowl gently mix together the ground sirloin, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and breadcrumbs.
- Form the meat mixture into 4 balls, then flatten into 1-inch thick patties.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the hamburger patties to the skillet. Fry the patties for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Add the hamburger patties to the skillet. Fry the patties for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the skillet and sprinkle the flour over them. Stir the flour in, cooking for one minute.
- Slowly pour the beef broth into the skillet using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook the gravy for 3-5 minutes until thickened.
- Add the patties back to the pan, simmer for 10 more minutes until beef is cooked through and gravy is thickened.
Here is another delicious hamburger recipe that we love: