Last updated on
These ultra-thick layered Nutella Brownies are absolutely irresistible! With a fluffy chocolate-hazelnut cheesecake mousse almost as tall as the brownie itself, you’re gonna need a fork for these babies!
Nutella Brownies are the perfect dessert when you’re craving something really decadent and chocolatey. For more extra rich chocolate treats, we also love this Chocolate Cream Pie and Chocolate Pudding Cake.
The Best Nutella Brownies
Brownies are a pretty phenomenal dessert on their own, but layer them with a thick, creamy Nutella cheesecake mousse and they are pure heaven.
I recommend baking your Nutella Brownie base in the smallest pan you can manage – an 8×8 is perfect. It keeps the brownies thick and fudgy, and since the final product is so rich, you’ll be eating a smaller slice.
The Nutella frosting is similar to the texture of a no-bake cheesecake – very fluffy, yet thick and rich at the same time. The frosting helps keep the entire pan of brownies moist and fudgy – but the corners are still perfect for those crunchy-edge lovers.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Brownies – You can use your favorite brownie recipe or just keep it simple and use a box of brownie mix. You’ll also need the ingredients from the box or recipes, like eggs, water and oil.
- Cream cheese – use a full fat brick of cream cheese for the best texture.
- Nutella hazelnut spread
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy cream – whipped to stiff peaks.
- Chopped hazelnuts for garnish
How To Make Nutella Brownies
- First, make your brownie batter. Preheat your oven to 350° F and line an 8″x8″ or 9″x9″ pan with parchment paper. The mix the brownies batter, spread it in the pan, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the brownie cool completely.
- Make the Nutella Frosting. While brownies are cooling, make the frosting. In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, Nutella, vanilla, and salt until smooth and thoroughly combined. Whip some heavy cream to stiff peaks and gently fold it into the Nutella mixture until it’s evenly combined.
- Assemble. Spread the frosting on top of the cooled brownies, evenly smoothing the top with an offset spatula. Chill the brownies in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours so the frosting can set.
- Serve. When ready to serve, drizzle the brownies with warm Nutella and sprinkle chopped hazelnuts on top.
How to Store
If you manage to have any Nutella Brownies leftover, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. Do not freeze.
Expert Tips and FAQs
- Keep it simple and use your favorite boxed brownie mix. Mine is Ghirardelli brand triple chocolate – I buy them in bulk from Costco. They have chunks of chocolate in them for an extra rich brownie base.
- Want even more Nutella flavor? Add ¼ cup of the hazelnut spread to the brownie batter, or dollop and swirl on top.
- Since Nutella is made from hazelnuts, this isn’t a nut free dessert. There are alternatives though that I found on Amazon and you can likely find at your grocery store.
More Brownie Recipes To Try
- Black Bourbon Walnut Brownies with Maple-Candied Bacon
- S’mores Oreo Stuffed Brownies
- Salted Caramel Brownies
- Slutty Brownies Recipe
- Oreo Brownies
- 1 box brownie mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup oil
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 6 ounces Nutella hazelnut spread plus more for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 8 ounces heavy cream whipped to stiff peaks
- Chopped hazelnuts for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8×8 or 9×9 pan with parchment paper, and spray it with a bit of baking spray; set aside.
- Mix brownie mix, eggs, water, and oil together in a large bowl. Spread in the prepared pan and bake 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Nutella Frosting
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, Nutella, vanilla, and salt until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream until evenly combined.
- Spread the cheesecake mixture on top of the cooled brownies, evenly smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Drizzle with warmed Nutella and sprinkle chopped hazelnuts on top, if desired. Slice into 12 equal pieces and serve.