This one pan Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Pasta is based on a favorite recipe of mine that my cousin makes. It’s her specialty and the one I always would ask for it any time I would go to visit. While hers is a traditional enchilada casserole, my version is made with Rotini pasta. It’s rich and creamy, with just enough spicy to make it interesting!
Like all of my one pot meals, this pasta is a quick and easy option for busy weeknights, and it makes a great Sunday supper too. Served with a salad on the side, it’s a hearty meal that will quickly become a family favorite.
This Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Pasta all cooks in one pan (I use this stainless steel pan from Calphalon), so clean up is easy. Start by sauteing the onions then adding diced chicken breasts and garlic. When you dice up the chicken, be sure to cut it into large chunks. Smaller pieces tend to cook too fast and dry out quickly.
I wish you could smell how good this smells.
The chicken doesn’t need to be cooked through at this point because it will continue cooking in the sauce.
Next add the rest of the ingredients, except the cheeses. Stir it all up and bring it to a boil. Cover that baby up and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes.
Once that twenty minutes is up, lift the lid and see that the sauce has reduced down and the pasta is tender. Stir in the cream cheese, then sprinkle with jack cheese. Cover it back up so the cheeses can melt and create a fantastically spicy, creamy sauce.
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1-4 oz can diced mild green chiles
- 1-10 oz can green chile verde enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup Pace Picante sauce
- 2 1/2 cups small uncooked pasta
- 1 cup water
- 4 oz fat free cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese
- In a 12" pan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and stir until soft - about 3 minutes.
- Season chicken with a little salt and pepper and add to the pan and brown, then add garlic and stir.
- Add green chiles, chile verde sauce, picante sauce, uncooked pasta and water. Stir then bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream cheese until completely melted and incorporated, then sprinkle with jack cheese.
- Cover for at least five minutes to allow cheese to melt.
- Garnish with green onions or olives if desired.
You might also enjoy:
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.