An easy Pistachio Pudding Icebox Cake that is layer upon layer of creamy goodness. The cake is made with graham crackers, pistachio pudding and lots of whipped topping!
We love to have easy desserts on hand, and often will whip up a quick Classic Pistachio Fluff Salad or No Bake Chocolate Oreo Cheesecake to satisfy our sweet tooth throughout the week. This Pistachio Pudding Cake is a great recipe for to do just that!
Pistachio Icebox Cake
Growing up we would always celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. My mom would make corned beef and cabbage, and a pistachio pudding cake. As a child, that cake was my favorite, especially the frosting. My husband and I do not celebrate St. Patrick’s Day like how I did growing up, but I always try to make a green dessert when it is coming up. I wanted to make a spin on my Mom’s Pistachio Pudding cake and I came up with this amazing Pistachio Icebox Cake.
How to make Pistachio Icebox Cake
The cake starts with a layer of graham cracker crust, pistachio pudding, then a whipped cream cheese layer, and more pistachio pudding. If you take out the time of the crust cooling this cake comes together in less than 20 minutes! I always love making quick desserts especially when I am already making other food items for a party.
- Start by making the crust. Combine graham cracker crumbs with sugar and melted butter until the mixture is well combined. Then press it into an 8×8-inch pan. Bake the crust for about 7 minutes or until it’s golden. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Next, make the pistachio pudding. Using a hand mixer, beat the pistachio pudding mix with milk until it begins to thicken, then set it aside until you’re ready to use.
- Finally, prepare the cream cheese layer. Beat softened cream cheese with powdered sugar and 1 cup of whipped topping until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Spread half of the pudding mixture onto the cooled crust, then all of the cream cheese mixture, then the remaining pudding mixture.
- Chill the pistachio pudding cake for a few hours before cutting into squares and serving.
- Garnish the chilled cake with chopped pistachios if desired for added texture.
Can I make this a no bake dessert?
If you want to completely make this Pistachio Pudding Cake a no bake dessert then follow the same steps for the graham cracker crust and place it in the freezer for 2 hours before adding any of the layers. If I bake my crust in the oven I will often place the crust in the freezer to cool faster. I do this by putting a towel or oven mitt on a shelf in the freezer and then placing the hot baking dish on top. I will let it freeze for 15-20 minutes, and then assemble with the pistachio layers.
How long can this icebox cake sit out?
Because this is a chilled dessert, it won’t last long at room temperature. I recommend refrigerating as soon as possible, within one hour, or it will begin to melt.
How to store Pistachio Pudding Cake
Store this cake in its original dish, covered with foil or plastic wrap. For maximum freshness, store slices in an airtight container. This cake will last up to 3 days if properly store in the fridge.
Can I freeze pudding cake?
Yes, you absolutely can! Pistachio Pudding Icebox Cake actually holds up quite well in the freezer. You have a couple of options:
- Freeze the cake whole. Wrap the container with plastic wrap or place into a large freezer bag. (I recommend using a disposable pan if this is your plan). To defrost, unwrap the pan and thaw in the refrigerator.
- Freeze individual slices. Slice the cake into squares, place slices on a cookie sheet and freeze for about 30 minutes so they firm up. Then wrap each individual square in plastic wrap and place into a large freezer bag. Thaw in the refrigerator.
For more delicious chilled dessert recipes, try these:
Pistachio Icebox Cake
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
Cream Cheese Layer:
- 6 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 2 pkgs instant pistachio pudding
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 2 cups whipped topping optional, but recommended
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl, add the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Mix until well combined.
- Press into a 8 x 8-inch pan.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- In a large bowl mix, the milk and pudding mix for 1-2 minutes until the pudding begins to thicken.set aside
Cream Cheese Layer:
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and the 1 cup of whipped topping. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Spread half of the pudding onto the cooled crust. Then the whole cream cheese mixture, and then the rest of the pudding. You can add another optional layer of just whipped topping (if desired)
- Chill for about 2-3 hours