This Pumpkin Pie and Apple Oatmeal is an easy, filling, and cozy breakfast to help you get your morning off to a great start during those chilly fall and winter months.
It’s FALL! With it comes cool, crisp mornings, apple season, pumpkin season, and of course, pumpkin spice season! I love finally being able to take out my boots and sweaters, turn on my a/c and pretend that I live in a cooler climate that actually has seasons…I am in Southern California after all! Either way, the pumpkins and apples are here for the season and I plan to take full advantage of that!
I have always been a fan of oatmeal. I remember opening those little paper packets, adding the milk and cooking it in the microwave as a kid. As an adult, I realized that there are much better ways to prepare oatmeal, and they are almost just as easy!
Take this Pumpkin Oatmeal for example. It cooked on the stove in less than 10 minutes, uses simple ingredients, and it tastes SO much better than the pre-packaged stuff you can buy at the store. I mean, we are talking 100 times better!
The oats are cooked with the milk, and then pumpkin, apples, brown sugar and spices are stirred in and cooked for a few more minutes, just to help soften the apples. Of course, if you like that crunch you can adjust the cooking times accordingly.
The end result is a rich and creamy oatmeal with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and bits of crunchy, tart apples. What’s great about making this at home is that you can adjust the tastes and consistency to your liking. I like a nice thick oatmeal but if that’s not your thing, just add more milk. To finish off my bowl of Pumpkin Pie & Apple Oatmeal, I like to sprinkle on toppings like brown sugar and pecans or maple syrup.
Pumpkin Pie & Apple OatmealPrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree not pie filling
- 1 large apple chopped into small, bite-sized pieces (I like honeycrisp)
- 1 1/3 cups rolled oats
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Brown sugar to taste
- Combine oats and milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Continue to cook over medium heat until desired consistency; 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin, Apple, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla. Cook for 2-4 minutes to soften apples (depending on how crisp or soft you want them to be). Add brown sugar in increments until you are satisfied with the sweetness. I used about 1/3 cup and also sprinkled some on top.
- Serve immediately, garnished with pecans and brown sugar.
For more great breakfast ideas, try these:
Want more pumpkin? Go HERE.
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.