This simple carrot salad will be your new go-to quick salad. It’s so easy to throw together with minimal ingredients and a killer vinaigrette- this is a total winner!
SIMPLE CARROT SALAD
When my girls were babies, I was obsessed with feeding kids. I pureed every imaginable vegetable and had such a blast teaching them about all the different flavors. And while they’re still pretty good eaters, the inevitable happened: they got a little picky. And while compared to many kids, they’re not too bad, they’re still kids and they love to assert their independence, especially at the table.
I read a book about feeding children in France, that was super interesting. One of the dishes that kept coming up was a super simple salad of shredded carrots. Typically they’d mix up a quick vinaigrette to dress it, and give it to kids to enjoy while preparing the rest of the meal.
I’m kind of in love with this idea, although sadly, my kids aren’t huge fans of raw carrots (and you can bet I will continue to try getting them into carrots!). But I had to try making a carrot salad recipe, because it sounded so darn delicious to me! The great thing is, you can throw this salad together and serve it to the whole family. It’s simple enough that (most) kids will love it, especially since the carrots are shredded. But it’s also sophisticated enough that you can serve it as a delightful starter or side dish for adults.
HOW TO MAKE CARROT SALAD
- Add the shredded carrots to the bowl (I buy them pre-shredded!).
- Chop the green onions and add those to the bowl.
- Whisk together some olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, dijon mustard, salt, pepper and Herbes de Provence until well combined.
- Toss salad in half the dress and give it a taste. You can adjust the salt level and more more dressing as desired.
Can I shred my own carrots?
Sure! The easiest way to so this is using the shredding blade in your food processor. You could also simply grate them by hand, but the shreds with be thinner.
Can you prepare carrot salad ahead of time?
Definitely. I’d encourage you to save half the dressing and add more before serving. This give the flavors time to get to know each other.
How to store leftovers:
Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Freezing this recipe is not recommended.
More delicious cold salad recipes:
- Cucumber Salad with Blueberries
- Best Ramen Noodle Salad with Salmon
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
Simple Carrot Salad
- 5 cups shredded carrots (a little less than 2 pounds, depending on thickness)
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced (around 3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar (you can also use red wine vinegar)
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon prepared Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
- Place shredded carrots and sliced green onions into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, salt, pepper and Herbes de Provence until well combined.
- Toss salad in half the dressing. If making in advance cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, toss with remaining dressing.