This Cheddar & Dill Pasta Salad is the perfect side dish for your next cookout or picnic. It’s a creamy pasta salad with tons of yummy dill flavor and another layer of flavor from the sharp cheddar cheese. Wherever you take it, it’s going to go fast!
I made this salad one night when it was just too dang hot to cook. Hot dogs were on the menu and I wanted a cool salad to accompany them. Only I didn’t have a whole lot of stuff to put in it. After a quick search for pasta salad ideas I came across a few that were made with dill pickles. At first I thought, ew, no. I figured I’d give it a shot anyway and it turned out to be one of my all time favorite pasta salads ever!
The dressing for this Cheddar & Dill Pasta Salad is simply mayo and sour cream, plus a little bit of pickle juice and mustard. Some of the recipes I saw called for A LOT of pickle juice but I didn’t want that to be an overwhelming flavor. I also added some chopped dill pickles and some fresh dill.
Side note, I love dill. Love the flavor, love the scent. When I buy fresh dill, I can literally stand in the herbs section and just sniff the dill in the bag for a good minute or two. Weird? Maybe.
Anyway…that’s pretty much it to this pasta salad! Add some freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or mild if you prefer) and you’re good to go.
Cheddar & Dill Pasta Salad
Yield 6 -8 servings
- 8-ounces boxed pasta, cooked to packages instructions and chilled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup white onion, finely chopped
- Fresh dill or chives, for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain, rinse and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, dill pickle juice and fresh dill. Stir in pasta to coat., then fold in chopped dill pickles, white onion. Fold in cheddar cheese a little at a time so it doesn't clump together.
- Garnish with cheddar and fresh dill.
For more pasta salads, try these: