This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls are a fun game day appetizer that’s the best of both worlds! Crunchy egg rolls are filled with a creamy buffalo chicken filling, then cooked in the air fryer for a crispy texture that’s healthier and lighter than deep frying.
I am a sucker for buffalo chicken, so these Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls were a no brainer! Cooking them in the air fryer makes it less messy and healthier, too. For more buffalo chicken recipes, be sure to try Boneless Buffalo Wings and Buffalo Chicken Dip.
What is in a Buffalo Chicken Egg Roll?
This Buffalo Chicken Egg Roll recipe is the perfect use for leftover chicken! Just shred it up and toss with a few other simple ingredients.
- Shredded chicken – this is a great recipe to use leftover chicken or you can even buy a rotisserie chicken and shred.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – you can swap in a different shredded cheese, if you’d like.
- Cream cheese – I recommend using regular fat, block-style cream cheese.
- Buffalo sauce – this is not the same as hot sauce. Make sure you either buy buffalo sauce or you can make your own using equal parts cayenne pepper sauce and melted butter.
- Green onions
- Egg roll wrappers – these can be found at most grocery stores, typically in the refrigerated section near the produce department.
- Italian breadcrumbs – optional, for a crunchy coating.
- Ranch dressing – optional, for serving.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
Making homemade Egg Rolls in your air fryer is so easy! Mix up the filling, roll the egg rolls (just like rolling a burrito), then air fry until golden and crispy.
Make the filling – Start by mixing together shredded chicken, shredded cheese, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and green onions in a large bowl.
Form egg rolls – Roll the egg rolls by placing a wrapper on a clean surface. Add about 2 tablespoons of the chicken filling to the center, then fold both sides over the filling to meet in the middle – you should create a triangle shape. Then take the bottom of the wrapper and fold up to create an envelope shape. Roll the wrapper like a burrito until completely rolled.
Seal the edges – Seal the egg roll edges by dipping your fingers in a little water and running it along the seam of the wrapper to seal together. Repeat the forming and sealing until the egg roll filling is gone.
Coat in breadcrumbs – Make the egg wash by whisking an egg in a medium bowl. Dip the formed egg roll into the egg wash then roll into the breadcrumbs. This step is optional, but it creates an extra crispy texture and adds a nice flavor.
Air fry – Add the egg rolls to the air fryer and cook at 390℉ for 7 minutes. Flip the egg rolls over, spray them with cooking spray and cook for an additional 7 minutes.
Dipping Sauces for Serving
The best part about these air fryer egg rolls is dipping them into a cool and creamy sauce to compliment the heat from the buffalo. Here are some of my favorite dipping sauces:
- Ranch Dressing – Ranch is a classic choice. You can buy your favorite at the store or make your own. For extra heat, try this Creamy Jalapeno Ranch Dip.
- Blue Cheese – Blue Cheese dressing is another popular choice with buffalo chicken.
- Ranch-Blue Cheese Sauce – I love the ranch/blue cheese combo dressing in this Buffalo Chicken Sandwich recipe.
Storage and Reheating
Storage: If you do have leftover egg rolls, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezing: Let them cool, then wrap in plastic wrap or foil. Place in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheating: They will lose their crunch in the fridge, but you can reheat egg rolls in the air fryer at 325℉ for several minutes until warmed to crisp them up again.
Expert Tips and FAQs
- Best served fresh – Egg rolls are best served fresh. If you can’t eat all of them, you can cut the recipe in half to make just a few.
- Breadcrumbs – The breadcrumbs add great crunch and flavor but they are optional.
- Chicken – For the chicken you can use any shredded, cooked chicken. It’s a great use for leftover or meal prepped baked chicken breasts or you can buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it yourself. I often make a whole crockpot full of shredded chicken then divide the shredded chicken up into containers for different meals throughout the week.
- Air fryer – For best results, check your manual and preheat the air fryer if necessary. Different units can vary.
You can, for oven directions, I would follow everything above and preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through bake time.
You can prep the chicken and filling ahead of time, but save the rolling for when you’re ready to cook them.
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders (Instant Pot Recipe)
- Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Cheesy Baked Buffalo Chicken
Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast
- 1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese full fat, block style
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- In a large mixing bowl add shredded chicken, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and diced green onions. Mix together to form filling and set aside.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on cutting board or counter, add 2 tablespoons of buffalo filling to the center of the wrapper. Turn both sides over the filling to meet in the middle creating a triangle shape. Take the bottom of the wrapper and fold up creating an envelope shape. Start to roll the wrapper like a burrito until it is completely rolled.
- Seal edges of wrapper with a touch of water. (I use my fingers to dip into the water and run my finger along the seam of the wrapper to seal together). Repeat until all egg rolls are made.
- In a medium-size bowl whisk the egg. Pour breadcrumbs onto a plate. Dip egg roll into the egg wash, then roll into breadcrumbs. Repeat until all egg rolls are coated.
- Add egg rolls to air fryer and cook on 390 degrees for 7 minutes. Turn egg rolls over, spritz them with cooking spray, and cook for an additional 7 minutes. You may need to do this in 2 batches.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.