This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Easy Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels are full of creamy buffalo chicken, sour cream, ranch mix, tangy blue cheese and crunchy celery. This simple recipe is an easy appetizer for a holiday or game day party!
It’s no secret that we are huge fans of buffalo chicken around here. This delicious Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels recipe tastes just like my famous spicy buffalo chicken dip rolled up in a soft tortilla and served chilled. You get all the flavors of buffalo chicken wings without the mess!
You definitely want to serve these at your next party, and be sure to try our Crispy Baked Chicken Wings, Boneless Buffalo Wings and Buffalo Chicken Nachos.
Table of Contents
Why We Love Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
Easy to make – They take about 15-20 minutes from mix to chill.
Customizable – You can control the heat level and swap out the cheese to give these easy buffalo chicken roll ups your own flavor.
Perfect Finger Food – Much less messy than traditional buffalo wings, these are the perfect appetizer served in a nice, neat little package.
Great for potlucks – Pack up in a container and bring them to a party – they travel great!
Main Recipe Ingredients
- Softened Cream cheese – Use full fat, brick style cream cheese, and soften to room temperature.
- Ranch mix – The dry mix that comes in a small packet and is found in the salad dressing aisle.
- Sour cream – A lower calorie substitution would be plain Greek yogurt.
- Chicken – Fully cooked, shredded chicken breast is best.
- Cheese – I like the mild flavor and creamy texture of Mozzarella cheese, but Jack cheese or Cheddar cheese would be good, too. I also add blue cheese but not everyone is a fan, so you can omit if you want. It’s tangy and a great contrast to the heat of the buffalo sauce.
- Buffalo sauce – Cayenne pepper hot sauce like Frank’s Red Hot. You can customize the amount to increase or decrease the heat level.
- Celery and Green Onions – For crunch and cool texture. Be sure to dice thin for easy rolling.
- Flour tortillas – Use your favorite brand. You want sofy, pliable flour tortillas. You could even try making your own Homemade Flour Tortillas.
How to make Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
Get a detailed list of ingredients & instructions in the recipe card below.
The key to getting that super soft buffalo chicken rollups is to give them time to chill. The moisture from the spread softens the tortilla without making it mushy, and it’s the perfect vessel for delivering that creamy dip right to your mouth.
- Mix cream cheese, sour cream, hot sauce and Ranch mix in a large bowl until nice and smooth. Stir in the cheeses and shredded chicken. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer for easy mixing.
- Lay out a tortilla and spread some of the chicken mixture onto the tortilla, leaving about a half-inch border.
- Roll up the tortilla tightly and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate the rolled tortillas for at least an hour or up to 24 hours.
- Unwrap, slice, and serve. I like to serve with Ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing for dipping.
Buffalo Chicken Roll-Ups are the perfect party appetizer because you can make them up to a day in advance. Prepare and roll the tortilla and with the buffalo chicken filling, wrap up and place them in the fridge. You can refrigerate them for up to 24 hours, but don’t cut them until you’re ready to serve.
I like Frank’s Red Hot. You could also use a buffalo wing sauce that tends to be a little more mild.
Tortilla pinwheels can become soggy the longer they sit. Serve them within 24 hours and they will be just fine. After a couple of days the tortillas tend to become softer and are prone to becoming a little mushy.
The easiest kind of chicken to use is to just pull the meat off of a rotisserie chicken. I prefer to use chicken breasts; dark meat is more greasy and can cause the tortillas to become soggy. Leftover rotisserie chicken can be frozen or used in another recipe, like Pozole Verde.
Mission tortillas are my go to for tortilla roll ups. They are softer than other brands, making them a lot easier to roll. I always use burrito size (10-inch or larger).
As for flavor, I prefer flour tortillas, but you can use wheat or even a gluten free tortilla, as long as they are soft enough to roll.
Mix-ins: For more texture, add chopped olives, shredded carrots, or diced red pepper to the cream cheese mixture.
Store leftover pinwheels in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will remain fresh for 2-3 days. Any longer and they will become soggy.
- Use a offset spatula for easy spreading.
- These cut best with a serrated knife.
- Use softened cream cheese. Let it sit out for 30 minutes prior to mixing.
- After slicing, you can serve them right away. If you have the time, I recommend chilling them for 30 minutes in the fridge to allow the filling to set.
- Blue cheese crumbles are optional.
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes
- Buffalo Ranch Meatballs
- Buffalo Chicken Nachos
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Ranch Chicken French Bread Pizza
- Cheesy Baked Buffalo Chicken
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon dry ranch mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 ½ cups freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup buffalo sauce like Frank’s Red Hot
- ½ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 3 large flour tortillas room temperature
- Optional for dipping: extra buffalo sauce, ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, hot sauce and ranch mix until smooth. Add shredded chicken, cheese, celery and green onions and stir to combine.
- Lay a flour tortilla out on a flat surface. Spread about a third of the cream cheese mixture over the tortilla, leaving about 1/2″ on one edge. Gently roll the tortilla up as tightly as you can, pressing towards that 1/2″ of empty tortilla. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for at least one hour or up to 24 hours. Repeat with the remaining chicken mixture and tortillas.
- When ready to serve, remove the rolled tortillas from the fridge, unwrap and place on a cutting board. Using a sharp serrated knife, slice into 1-inch pinwheels and arrange on a serving plate.
- Serve with Buffalo sauce, Blue Cheese or Ranch dressing for dipping.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
How much sour cream for th his recipe?
Oh, sorry about that! 1/2 cup sour cream.
I wanna try this recipe when I read it but i know that my problem is i can not slice them sucessful. I will try with your advise about knife