These Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels are full of spicy, creamy chicken with tangy blue cheese and crunchy celery. An easy cold appetizer for holiday or game day parties!
It’s no secret that buffalo chicken is quite beloved around here. From our favorite hot buffalo chicken dip to traditional crispy baked buffalo chicken wings, we like the spice and tang of that classic buffalo sauce (aff). I am a little new to this whole tortilla pinwheel/roll-up thing though. I am really not a fan of cold tortillas, but you know what? That creamy mixture that you spread all over the tortilla makes them super soft and chewy and delicious.
How to make Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
The key to getting that super soft and chewy tortilla outside is to spread, roll and chill. The moisture from the spread softens the tortilla without making it mushy, and it’s the perfect vessel for delivering that creamy dip right to your mouth.
These Buffalo Chicken Tortilla Roll Ups are incredibly easy, with just a few quick steps. You’ll combine softened cream cheese, buffalo sauce and a little sour cream until it’s nice and creamy. Then mix in shredded chicken, some dry Ranch dressing mix, cheeses, celery and green onion. Once that’s nice and combined, spread it all over some room temperature tortillas. Note that I said “room temperature.” This will make the tortillas soft enough to roll.
I am not usually a fan of Mission tortillas, just not my taste for typical Mexican fair like burritos or quesadillas, but they are my go to for tortilla roll ups. They are softer than other brands, making them a lot easier to roll.
So once the mixture is spread on the tortilla, roll that baby up! You want to roll as tightly and evenly as possibly so that your finished product (those yummy buffalo chicken pinwheels) will be uniform in size. Wrap them up with some plastic wrap as tightly as possible and place the logs in the fridge for a couple of hours, or up to overnight. Any longer and they could start to get soggy.
When you’re ready, unwrap the logs and slice them into pinwheels with a sharp serrated knife. Using a regular chef’s knife could work as long as it’s really sharp, but serrated is best as it will saw right through the shredded chicken without pulling it out of the tortilla.
So there you have it – delicious, creamy, chewy, tangy Buffalo Chicken Tortilla Pinwheels. Perfect for tailgating (no baking required!) or for holiday parties.
Buffalo Chicken PinwheelsPrint Pin Rate
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temp
- 1 tablespoon dry ranch mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 ½-2 cups freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup buffalo sauce like Frank’s Red Hot
- ½ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2-3 large flour tortillas room temperature
- Optional: extra buffalo sauce green onions and/or blue cheese crumbles for garnish; ranch dressing for dipping
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, hot sauce and ranch mix until smooth. Add remaining ingredients except tortillas and and garnishes and stir until well combined.
- Lay a flour tortilla out on a flat surface. Spread about a third of the cream cheese mixture over the tortilla, leaving about 1/2" on one edge. Gently roll the tortilla up as tightly as you can, pressing towards that 1/2" of empty tortilla. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for at least one hour or up to 24 hours. Repeat with the remaining chicken mixture and tortillas.
- When ready to serve, remove the rolled pinwheel logs from the fridge, unwrap and place on a cutting board. Using a sharp serrated knife, slice into 1-inch pinwheels and arrange on a serving plate.
- Optional: Drizzle with buffalo sauce and garnish with sliced green onions and blue cheese crumbles, if desired. Serve with Ranch dressing for dipping.
Here is another favorite buffalo chicken recipe:
And for even more buffalo chicken recipes, try these: