A light and fresh salad with grilled citrus marinated chicken and roasted bell peppers, onions and corn, all topped with a Chili Lime Sour Cream dressing. It’s a healthy alternative to restaurant style fajitas, and oh so tasty!
My family loves Mexican food. In fact I could probably get my kids to eat Mexican nearly every night of the week. One of my favorite Mexican dishes is fajitas. I love the steaming hot plate of chicken or steak, the sweet, crisp veggies and of course those warm, fresh tortillas. But since we are trying to eat a little more on the healthy side, I thought, why not make my favorite chicken fajitas into a salad?
I always have plenty of cut up lettuce on hand, since that’s generally our go-to veggie side dish. My son has been known to make himself just a chicken salad for dinner when he’s not pleased with whatever I’ve made. We actually picked up dinner while we were out grocery shopping the other day, and when given the choice between chicken tenders, corn dogs, chicken wings and salad, the kid chose to make himself a salad!
Anyway, I decided to whip up this super fresh and comforting salad meal the other day, and it was incredible. It starts with chicken marinated in yummy goodness, like orange juice, chicken broth, lime juice and a bunch of seasonings. The veggies are roasted in a super hot pan with some lime juice and seasonings until they are tender. The dressing is simple; just sour cream, chili powder and lime juice.
Easy to make and incredibly flavorful, this meal is sure to make it into your spring and summer menu rotation!
Chicken Fajita Salad
- 8 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 2 red bell peppers cut into strips
- 2 green bell peppers cut into strips
- 1 medium sized onion cut into strips
- 1-15 oz can corn drained
- 1 lime
- Chili powder Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Salt to taste
- 1 lime juiced
- Combine marinade ingredients (except chicken) in a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Pour marinade into a large ziploc bag and add chicken. Press out as much air as possible and marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Mix salad dressing ingredients together in a small bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Taste and add more chili powder if needed.
- Once the chicken is ready to cook, heat a grill pan (or your outdoor grill) over medium heat. Rub olive oil on the grate to keep chicken from sticking. Place chicken on the grill and sprinkle the top side generously with salt. Cook chicken about 4 minutes per side, until no longer pink in the center. Transfer to a cutting board and cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pan (such as a cast iron skillet) over medium-high heat. Cook peppers and onions, seasoned with juice from one lime, salt, pepper and about 2 teaspoons of chili powder until barely limp; about 6-7 minutes. Add corn and cook for another 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss salad with sour cream dressing. Divide into bowls and top with chicken and veggies. Serve with lime wedges.
For more Mexican recipes, check these out:
For more healthy chicken recipes, try these: