This Chorizo Cheese Dip is a delicious appetizer any time of the year. It’s creamy, cheesy and just a little spicy, plus it makes a ton so its perfect for feeding a crowd at your holiday party. Thanks to Horizon Organic for sponsoring this conversation.
My kids love a good creamy cheese dip. Truth be told, I’m pretty keen on them myself. This easy cheese dip is made with just a few simple ingredients, including chorizo, tomatoes, corn and Horizon Organic Cheddar Shredded Cheese. It’s mildy spicy, which is perfect for my kids, and you can customize it to add more spice if that’s your thing. My daughter was just happy that it had plenty of her favorite food – cheese!
I love the way this dip turned out – extra cheesy with a big handful of cheese piled on top with some fresh diced tomatoes and chives. It looks so festive with those pretty Christmas colors, it’s just right for serving up a big batch at a holiday party. For my family though, it was the perfect snack to help us power through our Christmas tree decorating!
How to make Chorizo Cheese Dip
This Chorizo Cheese Dip is super simple, which is important when you’re pressed for time (and who isn’t around the holidays!). There are just 6 ingredients in the dip, plus a couple of garnishes that are totally optional.
This dip is made similar to a nacho cheese sauce, with a flour and butter based “roux”. Cook the onions to soften them, then add some chorizo. If you are able to find the ground chorizo like I used, great. If not, just get the sausages and remove the casings. You could also use regular ground pork country sausage if you want to eliminate the heat altogether (but I promise, the heat is pretty mild). Once the pork and onions are cooked, stir in some flour and cook for a minute or so, then stir in some Horizon Organic Milk. The flour will help to thicken the milk and a nice sauce base is the result. You’ll know it’s ready when you can slide your spoon through and create a “valley.”
Now you’re ready for my favorite part – the cheese! Melt in a package of cream cheese, and then add the diced tomatoes, corn and the Horizon Organic Cheddar Shredded Cheese. I usually turn off the heat when adding cheese to a sauce, but you want to keep the heat on very low to help the cheeses melt and blend nicely.
Let the dip simmer for a few minutes to allow the flavors some time to get used to each other and everything to get nice and hot. I like to top this Chorizo Cheese Dip with, of course more CHEESE and some fresh diced tomatoes and chives. It not only adds colors to an otherwise bland looking dish, but gives it height making it more visually appealing.
Add some tortilla chips for dipping and you’re good to go!
Chorizo Cheese Dip
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion
- 16 ounces ground chorizo sausage casings removed if necessary
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups nonfat Horizon Organic milk
- 2 1/2 cups Horizon Organic Cheddar Shredded Cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 15- ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 15- ounce can yellow corn drained
- 1-2 fresh Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh scallions or chives minced
- Kosher salt to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add diced onion. Cook, stirring often, until soft; 3-4 minutes. Crumble in chorizo sausage and cook until no longer pink. Drain grease from the pan, leaving about a tablespoon.
- Add flour and stir to coat. Cook for one minute.
- Whisk in milk and simmer until thickened; about 3-4 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium-low. Stir in 8 ounces of cream cheese until melted, then add tomatoes, corn and 6 ounces of Horizon Organic Cheddar Cheese (reserve a small amount for topping, if desired). Stir until melted and combined, and continue to cook, stirring often, over medium-low heat until cheese is melted and bubbly. Season with salt if desired.
- Remove from heat and garnish with diced tomatoes, fresh chives and reserved cheese, if desired. Serve hot with tortilla chips for dipping.
Here’s another favorite cheesy dip:
And for more cheesy dip recipes, try these:
- Easy Baked Queso Blanco Dip (White Cheese Dip)
- Easy Chili Cheese Dip in a Bread Bowl
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon. The opinions and text are all mine.
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.