This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Hot Chocolate Dip Recipe is the easiest and most festive dessert you’ll have this holiday season! With only three ingredients you’ll whip this together in no time. Serve with graham crackers, cookies or pretzels for dipping.
Table of Contents
Why I Love this Chocolate Dip
The year is coming to a close and it’s time to slow down to be able to enjoy more of this Hot Chocolate Dip!
It’s festive and easy which are two of my favorite things this time of year. I know everyone has a ton of things on their mind so keeping things simple is a huge plus. Luckily, this chocolate dip recipe only has 3 ingredients. You read that right – three! What’s even better is that it’s a no bake dessert. It can be thrown together in under 10 minutes. As long as your Cool Whip has thawed, this takes no time at all.
- Marshmallow Fluff – a light and fluffy marshmallow creme that has the taste and texture of melted marshmallows.
- Cool Whip – This is a non-dairy whipped topping found in the freezer section near the desserts.
- Hot Chocolate Mix – You can make your own hot chocolate mix or use a prepackaged mix. You’ll need 2 packets from a box, or ⅓ cup from a mix.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Dip
I’m not sure about you, but when I think of hot chocolate, I think of creamy hot cocoa with lots of mini marshmallows on top. This dip combines all of those things in one bite. The Cool Whip and marshmallow fluff combine into this lighter than air dip and adding hot cocoa mix makes it that much more like taking a bite of a perfect hot chocolate.
- Start by combining thawed Cool Whip and Marshmallow Fluff in a big bowl using an electric mixer.
- To keep it easy, I usually buy the individual packets of hot chocolate which range from about .85 to 1.25 ounces. I used three .85 oz packets for the recipe which was about ⅓ cup of hot chocolate mix if you have a larger container of it. I think this amount gives it enough chocolate flavor without losing the marshmallow or whipped cream flavors!
- Pour the hot dip into a small bowl and serve with cookies, graham crackers, or even animal crackers. Don’t forget the mini marshmallows on top!
Serving Suggestions + Variations
I’m partial to keeping it simple and classic, serving with some animal crackers or graham crackers for dipping, but here are a few more serving ideas and recipe variations.
- Cookie Dippers: Animal crackers, graham crackers, oreos, wafer cookies, gingersnaps.
- Fruit Dippers: Bananas, strawberries, apples.
- Sweet and salty: Add crushed peanuts on top or serve with pretzels.
- Garnish: To make it even more festive for the holidays, you could sprinkle in mini M&Ms or crushed candy canes to give it a different flavor.
- “Dip Bar”: It could be fun to make a chocolate dip bar with different toppings and dippers. Make it Mexican Hot Chocolate Dip and add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon!
I really can’t say enough good things about this easy dip recipe. After I made it for the first time, my family decided that dessert for dinner might be in order. After making it a few times I’ve got some tips to share.
- Use a hand or stand mixer to combine the ingredients. The marshmallow fluff is pretty sticky at first and will stick to a wooden spoon.
- Find a festive bowl to pour the dip into. An extra large coffee mug adds a fun touch.
- Get creative with the dippers. You can keep it simple with graham crackers or vanilla wafers, or have some fun with animal crackers, pretzels or even fruit.
- Sprinkle extra hot chocolate mix on top for a little extra garnish.
- If you prefer to make your own whipped cream, that’s fine too. Just be sure to use 2 cups of whipped cream and then sweeten to taste.
Make Ahead + Storage Instructions
Refrigerator: Store leftover dip in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Make Ahead: You can prepare up to a day in advance. Wait to add the garnish until just before serving.
Must Try Holiday Desserts and Treats
- Sugar Cookie Dip
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip
- Peanut Butter Apple Dip
- Pinwheel Christmas Cookies
- Christmas Tree Fruit & Cheese Platter
- Buttered Rum Fudge
Hot Chocolate Dip Recipe
- 7.5 ounces marshmallow fluff
- 8 ounces Cool Whip thawed
- 1/3 cup hot chocolate mix 3 .85-ounce packets
- To serve: Animal crackers or graham crackers
- For garnish: mini marshmallows
- Using a hand mixer in a large bowl, blend together the marshmallow fluff, cool whip, and hot chocolate dip until creamy.
- Serve with animal or graham crackers!