This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Hot Chocolate Dip Recipe is the easiest and most festive dessert you’ll have this holiday season! With only three ingredients you’ll whip this together in no time. Serve with graham crackers, cookies or pretzels for dipping.
Table of Contents
Why I Love this Chocolate Dip
The year is coming to a close and it’s time to slow down to be able to enjoy more of this Hot Chocolate Dip!
It’s festive and easy which are two of my favorite things this time of year. I know everyone has a ton of things on their mind so keeping things simple is a huge plus. Luckily, this chocolate dip recipe only has 3 ingredients. You read that right – three! What’s even better is that it’s a no bake dessert. It can be thrown together in under 10 minutes. As long as your Cool Whip has thawed, this takes no time at all.
- Marshmallow Fluff – a light and fluffy marshmallow creme that has the taste and texture of melted marshmallows.
- Cool Whip – This is a non-dairy whipped topping found in the freezer section near the desserts.
- Hot Chocolate Mix – You can make your own hot chocolate mix or use a prepackaged mix. You’ll need 2 packets from a box, or ⅓ cup from a mix.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Dip
I’m not sure about you, but when I think of hot chocolate, I think of creamy hot cocoa with lots of mini marshmallows on top. This dip combines all of those things in one bite. The Cool Whip and marshmallow fluff combine into this lighter than air dip and adding hot cocoa mix makes it that much more like taking a bite of a perfect hot chocolate.
- Start by combining thawed Cool Whip and Marshmallow Fluff in a big bowl using an electric mixer.
- To keep it easy, I usually buy the individual packets of hot chocolate which range from about .85 to 1.25 ounces. I used three .85 oz packets for the recipe which was about ⅓ cup of hot chocolate mix if you have a larger container of it. I think this amount gives it enough chocolate flavor without losing the marshmallow or whipped cream flavors!
- Pour the hot dip into a small bowl and serve with cookies, graham crackers, or even animal crackers. Don’t forget the mini marshmallows on top!
Serving Suggestions + Variations
I’m partial to keeping it simple and classic, serving with some animal crackers or graham crackers for dipping, but here are a few more serving ideas and recipe variations.
- Cookie Dippers: Animal crackers, graham crackers, oreos, wafer cookies, gingersnaps.
- Fruit Dippers: Bananas, strawberries, apples.
- Sweet and salty: Add crushed peanuts on top or serve with pretzels.
- Garnish: To make it even more festive for the holidays, you could sprinkle in mini M&Ms or crushed candy canes to give it a different flavor.
- “Dip Bar”: It could be fun to make a chocolate dip bar with different toppings and dippers. Make it Mexican Hot Chocolate Dip and add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon!
I really can’t say enough good things about this easy dip recipe. After I made it for the first time, my family decided that dessert for dinner might be in order. After making it a few times I’ve got some tips to share.
- Use a hand or stand mixer to combine the ingredients. The marshmallow fluff is pretty sticky at first and will stick to a wooden spoon.
- Find a festive bowl to pour the dip into. An extra large coffee mug adds a fun touch.
- Get creative with the dippers. You can keep it simple with graham crackers or vanilla wafers, or have some fun with animal crackers, pretzels or even fruit.
- Sprinkle extra hot chocolate mix on top for a little extra garnish.
- If you prefer to make your own whipped cream, that’s fine too. Just be sure to use 2 cups of whipped cream and then sweeten to taste.
Make Ahead + Storage Instructions
Refrigerator: Store leftover dip in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Make Ahead: You can prepare up to a day in advance. Wait to add the garnish until just before serving.
Must Try Holiday Desserts and Treats
- Sugar Cookie Dip
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip
- Peanut Butter Apple Dip
- Pinwheel Christmas Cookies
- Christmas Tree Fruit & Cheese Platter
- Buttered Rum Fudge
Hot Chocolate Dip Recipe
- 7.5 ounces marshmallow fluff
- 8 ounces Cool Whip thawed
- 1/3 cup hot chocolate mix 3 .85-ounce packets
- To serve: Animal crackers or graham crackers
- For garnish: mini marshmallows
- Using a hand mixer in a large bowl, blend together the marshmallow fluff, cool whip, and hot chocolate dip until creamy.
- Serve with animal or graham crackers!
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Should this dip be served warm or cold?
Great question! It’s actually served chilled. If it was warmed up it would melt.
This turned out very sweet. I recommend serving it with pretzels and fruit. I was concerned at first because it was pretty gritty. But after it had some time to sit, it was very smooth. My guess is that it took time for the hot chocolate mix to dissolve.
Love the feedback Sarah! Thanks for stopping by to share.
I loved this dip! I made it for a New Year’s Eve and it was a huge hit! We used gram crackers and teddy grams to dip. I made my own marshmallow fluff with melted marshmallows and corn syrup, and it worked great. Ended up using more then 1/3 a cup of hot chocolate mix, so I used two packets in total. Which gave it a more chocolate taste. What is the best why to store this?
Glad you enjoyed it! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Tastes delicious but I made my own marshmallow fluff and over whipped it
Appreciate your feedback, but did you give the recipe 3 stars because you overwhipped the ingredient you changed?
Do you happen to know any substitutes for Cool Whip? This looks delicious!
You can make your own whipped cream as long as it’s nice and thick. However, whipped cream isn’t as stable as Cool Whip. I do personally prefer Tru Whip brand because it doesn’t have high fructose corn syrup and overall has better ingredients.
Wonder if churros would be good to dip in this?? Anyone have other ideas of a dip for churros??
I think they would work, but this is a thicker dip than what you’d normally want for Churros.
This is the perfect quick party dip! I used graham crackers for dipping. It’s smooth and not too sweet! This is a new go to dip for parties 🎉
Nice! Thanks for stopping by Jessica.
I can’t find marshmallow fluff only cream can I substitute ?
They are similar products, but I haven’t tested the creme. Did you end up trying it?
Hi Sara Ballard I just saw your message and I was wondering if you tried using Jet-Puffed marshmallow creme and if so how did it turn out? I think I might try and see how it goes.
My grandson made the Hot Chocolate dip for Christmas Eve get together. It is to die for! You really need to try this!
I just made this for the family and they loved it!!!
Glad to hear it – thank you Jennifer!
Can you use cream cheese instead of marshmallow fluff or maybe in addition to?
The marshmallow fluff adds sweetness and of course that distinct marshmallow flavor that goes so well with hot chocolate. That said, you could use powdered sugar and cream cheese if you want to instead.
I’m making this for my families Christmas morning brunch! Would making it the night before be ok? Or is it best to serve immediately?
I think you could make it the day before. Just be sure to stir it up before serving.
If you wanted to make this to give as gifts, how long does it stay fresh? I would want to make it at least 2 days before I give it out, but then not sure how long before people would eat it.
I don’t think this would work as a gift. It needs to be refrigerated at all times.
So would nestle quik work?
That’s a good question. It’s pretty sweet but it would probably do the trick.
Do you refrigerate the dip after?
Yes refrigerate if you have leftovers.
Yum! Can’t wait to make this for myself…oh, I meant my grandkids! What a fun little treat for them.
This looks so simple and yet so festive! Can’t wait to make it!