Serve up big slices of this creamy and rich Pumpkin Dump Cake with a crunchy brown sugar and walnut topping for dessert this fall. Made with just a few ingredients, this mouthwatering dessert is as easy as it is delicious!
Fall is my favorite time of year because with it comes all the fall baking! Bake up delicious treats like this pumpkin dump cake, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread or Oatmeal Pumpkin Cookies to totally impress your family and friends.
The BEST Pumpkin Dump Cake Recipe
Pumpkin Pie is the traditional favorite dessert for fall, but it can be a bear to make. Enter this super easy and delicious Pumpkin Dump Cake!
Fall is the season when desserts are king, at least in my book. I love a good pumpkin dessert, apple dessert or anything with cinnamon. Those flavors just scream fall and they are the first flavors I gravitate towards when I’m in need of a little comfort food during those months when the weather starts getting cooler and the days shorter. I always gravitate towards easy desserts, so this Pumpkin Dump Cake is perfect combination of everything I love about fall!
I’ve never been a huge fan of pumpkin pie, but put the stuff in cake form and I’m all over it. The texture is moist and tender and smooth and creamy. Sort of like a cake meets a custard and it is freaking amazing.
What’s a dump cake?
Dump cakes are really just as simple as the name suggests. Dump in the ingredients and bake and you’ve got a delicious cake! A dump cake is made with a fruit filling (pumpkin, apple, cherry, etc.) and dry cake mix with melted butter on top. The fruit filling is spread on the bottom, the dry cake mix sprinkled on top, then melted butter poured over it. As it bakes, the liquid in the pie filling cooks the cake. You’re basically just dumping in the filling, then the cake mix, hence the term “dump” cake! By extension, any simple cake made with just one bowl or pan could be termed a dump cake.
How to make Pumpkin Dump Cake
Super easy and just as delicious as if you slaved for hours, this Pumpkin
Dump is going to be your new favorite fall dessert. It’s perfect for potlucks, parties, or the holidays.
- The base for my Pumpkin Dump Cake is a semi-homemade pumpkin pie filling made with canned pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar and eggs. A bit of pumpkin pie spice really rounds out the fall flavor.
- This mixture is spread on the bottom of a large baking dish. Sprinkle a whole box of yellow cake mix on top. You could also swap out white or even a spice cake mix if you like. Pour melted butter as evenly as possible over the top of the cake mix.
- Bake it! The pumpkin pie filling will rise and the cake mix will melt into it as it all bakes together, creating an ooey-gooey cake that is absolutely irresistible. Do like me and top the unbaked cake with walnuts and brown sugar to really put it over the top.
Pumpkin Dump Cake Tips and Tricks
- Does Pumpkin Dump Cake need to be refrigerated? The verdict seems to be out on how to serve dump cake, either warm or chilled. I can enjoy it either way, so it’s really up to personal taste. Some like it warm just out of the oven, and some prefer it cold. I prefer mine either way as long as it’s accompanied by a giant scoop of fresh whipped cream!
- How to store leftovers – If you have leftover pumpkin dump cake, cover it and store it in the fridge. It will stay fresh and delicious for 2-3 days. If you want to enjoy a slice warm, heat it in the microwave at 20 second intervals until your desired temperature is reached.
- Can Pumpkin Dump Cake be frozen? Dump cake can be frozen for up to 3 months. Just be sure to cover it tightly to avoid freezer burn.
- Do you serve dump cake hot or cold? People prefer their dump cakes served differently, either warm from the oven or a bit chilled after refrigeration. If you want to serve the cake cooled, let it cool off from the actual baking, cover it with either plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then place it into the refrigerator until serving.
For more pumpkin recipes, try these:
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Pumpkin, Corn and Potato Chowder
- Mini Maple Pumpkin Pies
- Pumpkin Pie & Apple Oatmeal
- Pumpkin Cookie & Marshmallow Whoopie Pies
- Pumpkin Alfredo
Pumpkin Dump Cake
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree not pie filling
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 15 ounce box of yellow cake mix
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1 cup chopped walnuts and/or pecans
- 1/4 cup brown sugar for sprinkling on the top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9X13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugars, pumpkin pie spice. Pour into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle dry yellow cake mix evenly over pumpkin mixture.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts over the cake mix.
- Drizzle melted butter evenly over everything.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool completely, then cut into squares and served.
- This pumpkin dump cake is delicious topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.