This Tropical Chicken Slaw is crunchy, delicious and full of flavor and topped off with a creamy Pineapple Vinaigrette – you’ll forget that it’s good for you, too!
We are planning to take a surprise trip to Hawaii this May. This will be my fourth trip to Hawaii, and my kids’ second. We are staying at Disney’s Aulani Resort again, and I am beyond excited to surprise them with it! We’ve been having a ton of rain here in Southern California lately (thank you El Nino), and the cold and wet weather has had me yearning the tropical flavors of the islands.
This Crunchy Tropical Chicken Slaw recipe feeds that craving. You can make a lot and feed a crowd, or make just enough for a delicious, healthy lunch or dinner.
This salad couldn’t be easier to make. I used cooked, shredded chicken that I almost always have on hand (rotisserie chicken works great, too) and I cut my own cabbage and carrots for the slaw mix. I feel like it’s just tastes so much fresher than buying a pre-made mix. Plus it’s beyond easy in my Kitchen Aid Food Processor.
The dressing is just as simple, with rice vinegar, pineapple juice, olive oil, soy sauce, honey and Greek yogurt. I will typically make a dressing like this in a mason jar and just shake it up and pour it over the salad. You could also whisk it together or process in a blender.
My very favorite part of this Tropical Chicken Slaw is the toasted almonds and sesame seeds. They add a nice crunch and texture, and give the slaw a slightly smoky flavor.
Tropical Chicken Slaw SaladPrint Pin Rate
For the Salad
- 1/2 medium head green cabbage shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 medium head red cabbage shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 large carrot grated (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 large chicken breast shredded
- Creamy Pineapple Vinaigrette see recipe below
Creamy Pineapple Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 teaspoons pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spread sesame seeds and almonds on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for about 5 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine shredded cabbage and grated carrots. Toss in pineapple chunks, green onion and chicken.
- To make the dressing, whisk ingredients together until well blended, or shake in a container with a tight seal. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss until evenly distributed.
- Garnish with toasted almonds and sesame seeds before serving.
Fore more healthy recipes, try these: