This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This nutritious Apple Smoothie is flavorful and refreshing.
Packed with fruit and a serving of greens, this fresh Green Apple Smoothie is the perfect way to start your day!
If your family loves smoothies as much as mine you have to try some of our other smoothie recipes. We especially love Strawberry Banana Smoothies and Pineapple Smoothies.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
- Healthy – Lots of fruit and veggies make this apple smoothie a healthy snack or breakfast.
- Tastes great – This smoothie tastes sweet and refreshing – kids absolutely love it, and grown-ups, too!
- Quick and easy – It whips up fast, and uses simple, fresh ingredients.
- Freezer friendly – Pop the leftovers in the freezer for a refreshing drink any time you like.
Apple Smoothie Ingredients
- Apple juice – Feel free to choose your favorite brand, but I recommend a low sugar or 100% juice option.
- Fresh baby spinach
- Apples – You will need about 1 medium-sized apple and you can again use your favorite variety. I like Gala or Honeycrisp, or green apples for something more tart.
- Frozen pineapple – Freeze from fresh or buy in the freezer section.
- Frozen banana – Chop up some bananas and freeze them for smoothies anytime.
- Ice cubes – optional, but gives a more slushy texture to your apple smoothie.
- Chia seeds – Optional, but has significant health benefits.
How To Make An Apple Smoothie
- Liquid: The liquid is a combination of apple juice and water. The apple juice imparts a sweet apple flavor throughout the smoothie.
- Fruit: This smoothie contains a combination of apples, frozen pineapple and frozen banana. You can use sweet or tart apples. I’ve made it both ways and they’re equally delicious.
- Greens: My favorite leafy green to add to smoothies is fresh baby spinach. The flavor is mild and does not come through at all. Spinach adds a beautiful shade of green and an extra boost of nutrients to this smoothie. You can also swap the spinach for another leafy green of your choice (like kale), just be aware that some greens have a strong flavor.
- To make this smoothie: Layer the ingredients in your blender, liquids first, then solids and blend until smooth. If it appears too thick, add a splash of water or apple juice and blend it again.
Frequently Asked Questions
As long as you’re using a high-powered blender, peeling the apples is optional. Simply core and cut the apple into large chunks and your blender will do the rest of the work. If you don’t have a high-powered blender, you can peel your apples before adding them to the blender.
Yes! If you want to plan ahead, you can store cored and roughly chopped apples in the freezer. Pop them into the blender straight from the freezer. You most likely will not need to add ice if your apples are frozen, as the smoothie should be plenty thick.
Smoothies are great for an on-the-go breakfast or midday snack. Really, you can enjoy them any time of the day! Add some Apple Cinnamon Muffins or Make Ahead Freezer Breakfast Burritos for a complete meal and hearty breakfast.
Refrigerating – You can place a smoothie in the fridge for 1-2 days in a sealed container. It may separate, but give it a good shake and you should be fine.
Freezing – Pour smoothie into individually portioned, resealable glasses or plastic storage containers. Make sure to leave a couple of inches at the top for expansion. Thaw in the fridge (not on the counter) for 8-12 hours.
- Always add the liquid to your blender first.
- Keep pulsing until the smoothie is blended well and the ice is broken down.
- Smoothie variations: try adding a scoop of peanut butter or almond butter to your smoothie, use Almond milk instead of water, or add a scoop of Greek yogurt or even protein powder.
- Make it a sweet dessert by adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- If it’s not sweet enough for you, try adding honey or maple syrup.
More Smoothie Recipes
Smoothies are a great way to get some vitamins and fiber, and they’re quite tasty to boot!
More Apple Recipes
Apples are a great snack, but they’re even better in a yummy dessert. Try one of our favorites:
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 heaping cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup chopped apple (sweet or tart) about 1 medium-sized apple
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 1 small frozen banana
- Handful of ice optional
- Chia seeds to garnish, optional
- Place the ingredients in a blender, liquid first, then solids. Process until smooth and combined. Sprinkle with chia seeds, if desired. Enjoy immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Thanks for the apple smoothie recipe! And you also have so much delicious and interesting on your blog. Everything wants to try to cook:)
You are so welcome Viktoriia! Thanks for stopping by.