My Chunky Monkey Banana Bread recipe is moist and tender with an intense banana flavor, sweet chocolate chips and crunchy walnuts.
We’ve been having a bit of a rainy season here in Southern California, which for me means baking season! Our kitchen has been busy keeping us warm as we bake up delicious favorites like Starbucks Copycat Lemon Loaf and Zucchini Carrot Oatmeal Muffins.
Chunky Monkey Banana Bread
I have always been a bit obsessed with banana bread. We love to customize our banana bread recipe with fun additions like chocolate chips, caramel, and even maraschino cherries. I have a feeling though, that this Chunky Monkey version is going to be the running favorite for years to come. As you may have guessed, it’s based on the popular Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream flavor!
WHAT’S IN CHUNKY MONKEY ICE CREAM?
Chunky Monkey Ice Cream is a creamy blend of soft banana ice cream, chocolate chunks and chopped walnuts. It’s a classic Ben & Jerry’s flavor and one of their most popular and longest running.
HOW TO MAKE CHUNKY MONKEY BANANA BREAD
- Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a 9-inch loaf pan that’s lined with parchment paper. Just before adding the batter, you’ll want to also spray that with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy. I always use my stand mixer for this, or at least a hand mixer. Unless you want those big arm muscles, I recommend investing in at least a hand mixer if you don’t already have one.
- Stir in the eggs one at a time just until they are incorporated into the butter mixture and then add the mashed bananas.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl so that they are evenly dispersed, then mix the dry with the wet, just until the flour has been incorporated. It’s important to not over-mix because it can make your bread dense and chewy instead of fluffy and tender. Very gently fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts just until they are combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake the bread for about an hour. Actual time can vary based on the temperature of your oven, but the top should be golden brown and when you insert a toothpick into the center it should come out clean with a few moist crumbs.
WHAT DO YOU EAT BANANA BREAD WITH?
Banana Bread is delicious totally on it’s own, but you can take it next level and slather it with butter, cream cheese, jam or even Nutella.
DOES BANANA BREAD NEED TO BE REFRIGERATED?
Generally you do not need to refrigerate banana bread. It will hold up quite well on it’s own sitting on the kitchen counter, stored in a ziploc bag or wrapped with plastic wrap to keep it moist.
CAN YOU MAKE MUFFINS WITH THIS BANANA BREAD RECIPE?
Absolutely! This Chunky monkey Banana Bread recipe will make about a dozen muffins. Spray a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray and fill the cups about 2/3 full and bake for 20-30 minutes. You may want to only add chocolate chips and walnuts to the top of the batter, as they can tend to fall to the bottom of the muffins.
Here are some more bread and muffin recipes you’ll love:
- Beer Bread Recipe (Quick Bread)
- Pumpkin Apple Bread
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Cinnamon Pineapple Bread
- Cream Cheese Cranberry Bread
- Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake Muffins
- Sour Cream Banana Muffins
Chunky Monkey Banana BreadPrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and spray a 9" loaf pan generously with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in eggs one at a time until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Stir in milk. Add the banana mixture to the butter mixture and stir until combined.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and still just until combined - do not overmix.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for half an hour before removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.