This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Tender, flaky biscuits brushed with a garlic herb butter and filled with saucy barbecue chicken and a creamy, tangy coleslaw. These BBQ Chicken Sandwiches are a fun dinner to make any night of the week and are a great summer meal option.
Mix it up your regular dinner routine Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches on a Biscuit! Pair these delicious sandwiches with some of our Best Ever Classic Macaroni Salad, a nice fruit salad and some Cream Cheese Brownies for dessert!
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches are a perfect meal for any night of the week, but they are especially delicious in the summertime. They take less than 30 minutes to prepare from start to finish, using some already prepared ingredients like pre-cooked chicken (I use my slow cooker shredded chicken), canned biscuits and packaged coleslaw mix.
The chicken is mixed with barbecue sauce and heated while the biscuits are baking. When the biscuits are finished just brush them with some yummy garlic herb butter to give them a nice flavor and some color. Of course if you want to get even more flavor, make up a batch of my Crockpot BBQ Chicken. It will take a fw hours to cook but it’s totally worth it and super delicious.
I have been trying to come up with a coleslaw recipe that come close to KFC and for us this recipe came pretty close. Packaged coleslaw mix is the base, and the sauce is just mayo and sour cream plus some apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard and garlic. It’s super creamy with a slight tang which is just awesome. I like to make it a few hours before we’re planning on eating to give the flavors some time to blend and it still has a nice crunch to it.
We loved these sandwiches and plan to be making them again soon!
What’s so great about these BBQ Chicken Sandwiches?
- They are super simple using already prepared ingredients. Even if you opt to make the bbq chicken in the crockpot it only requires a few minutes of prep.
- Flavor town! The garlic herb butter on the biscuits, your favorite barbecue sauce and the creamy, crunchy coleslaw – there are so many different flavors and textures going on – it’s a flavor explosion!
- Make a big batch of both and you’ll have tons of leftovers to use for lunches that week.
How to make BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
There are so few steps in this recipe, you can hardly call it a recipe!
- If you’re making crockpot bbq chicken you’ll do that first because it takes about 4 hours to cook.
- Bake the biscuits according to the package directions. Or if you want to get fancy you can use our Homemade Biscuits recipe. When they come out of the oven brush them with some garlic butter (melted butter, garlic powder and fresh minced parsley).
- Mix up the coleslaw mix with some mayo, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard and garlic powder.
- Split open the biscuits and pile on the bbq chicken and coleslaw. If you want them a little tangy, sliced pickles are delicious on top.
- Add the top half of the biscuit and secure with fancy toothpicks.
What goes good with shredded bbq chicken sandwiches?
These sandwiches are a total picnic style meal so anything you’d take to a picnic would go great. Cold salads like Bacon Ranch Potato Salad or Hawaiian Macaroni Salad are especially delicious. Hot sides like Easy Baked Potato Wedges or Homemade French Fries are a family favorite, too.
What to do with leftovers
If you have leftover BBQ Chicken Sandwich fixings, most of it should be eaten or discarded within a few days. BBQ Chicken can be stored in a freezer container in the freezer for 2 months.
Love these Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches? Try these other delicious sandwich recipes:
- Shredded Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
- Monte Cristo Sliders
- Crispy Dill Chicken Sandwich
- Club Sandwich
- Classic Chicken Salad Recipe
Barbecue Chicken Biscuit Sandwiches
- 1 package coleslaw mix
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt Or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon honey or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 can Pillsbury biscuits or your favorite from scratch recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- Bake biscuits according to package directions or recipe.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, garlic powder and parsley. Brush butter mixture onto warm biscuits.
- Meanwhile, heat barbecue sauce on the stove in a medium saucepan. Add chicken and stir to coat. Continue to cook over medium-low heat until heated through. Cover and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together mayo, Greek yogurt, honey, vinegar and mustard. Add coleslaw mix and stir to coat. Set aside.
- Split biscuits and divide the chicken mixture among the biscuit bottoms. Top with coleslaw mixture, then replace the biscuits tops. Secure with a decorative toothpick, if desired.
- Serve immediately, with remaining coleslaw on the side.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.