Looking for unique and beautiful DIY Christmas gifts? Grab the free printable below and get all the details to make a few of these Christmas Potpourri in a Jar Christmas gifts for friends and neighbors!
This was originally posted in 2014 and updated for 2017.
I’m really excited about this one, because 1) it’s a great non-food gift that I can give to my kids’ teachers (I mean, they get tons of candy and cookies already!), and 2) I LOVE how the free printable tag turned out!
I love to fill my home with amazing scents during the holidays, and there’s no better combination than citrus and cranberry mixed with cinnamon and spices. This is a simple recipe that you can simmer on your stovetop or in a crockpot to help fill your home with these delicious scents. All of these ingredients are combined in a small pot on the stove.
This Christmas Potpourri in a Jar comes with a free printable and is crazy easy to put together. It looks stunning, and it’s not just another food gift.
How to Make DIY Christmas Potpourri Gifts for Friends:
Like I mentioned, this project is super simple. Here is what you will need:
- Wide-Mouth, Quart Jars (aff) (or cellophane gift bags)
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 small orange (clementines work great)
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves or allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
A few notes about this DIY Christmas gift:
- You want to make sure that the vessel you choose is large enough for the oranges. If you plan to use small naval oranges, or maybe fresh oranges from your backyard tree, I suggest using cellophane gift bags (aff) that would be able to accommodate the larger pieces of fruit. There’s nothing worse than having to jam that orange through the mouth of a jar and the recipient not being able to get it out!
- If you opt for mason jars, be sure to use the wide mouth ones, for the same reason as above.
- You’ll note that on the recipe card it says “cloves” but in the image I used allspice. While these two spices do have different scents, they each blend nicely and one can be swapped out the the other based on what you have available.
- Be sure to make one for yourself – trust me, these smell amazing and you’ll be glad y
ou did. This recipe works beautifully in the slow cooker, too!
Ready to get to make DIY Christmas Potpourri Jars?
Take your jar or cellophane and place the orange, cranberries and cinnamon sticks inside. For the spices, it’s easiest if you place them in a small bag so they don’t just fall to the bottom. I simply cut the corner of a ziploc bag, poured the spices into that corner piece, then tied it with a small piece of twine. (See the video below for the visual).
Top the lid of the jar with brown kraft paper, wrapping paper or any other paper you like, secure with the jar lid band, the tie on the free printable gift tag with a ribbon or twine. The gift tag doubles as the instructions!
For more ideas for DIY Christmas gifts for friends, check these out:
Here are some more holiday tips and Christmas Gift Ideas:
- How to Host the Holidays Like a Pro
- Holiday Hot Chocolate Bar with free printables
- Planning a Christmas Movie Night with Free Printables
Hi! I’m Kristin, the creative mind behind Yellow Bliss Road where you will be inspired by tons of easy to follow recipes, lots of free printables, and a little sprinkling of life thrown in for good measure.