Spaghetti and Meatballs is an American classic, and this one pan version of the traditional meal is sure to knock their socks off!
Years ago, I dated a guy who made THE BEST leftover spaghetti. Instead of heating it up in the microwave, he would toss it all in a skillet with a bunch of grated Parmesan and cook it all up over high heat. It was a quick way to heat it up but there was just something about that method of pan frying the pasta IN the sauce that made it taste so delicious.
When I started working on this recipe, I hadn’t even thought about that story, but as I took my first bite, I realized that this was so much like that leftover dish that I absolutely loved.
The beauty of one pot or one pan meals, like my one pan Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Pasta, is that you only need to use one pan, and it’s typically on the table in under thirty minutes, making it perfect for busy families.
This one pan spaghetti and meatballs dish is just as easy!
Start by grabbing a 12″ skillet (be sure it has a lid because you’re going to cover it up later. (I use this stainless steel pan from Calphalon).
First you’re going to add the ingredients to the pan – beef broth (or water, if you prefer), spaghetti sauce, some Italian seasonings, garlic and salt and pepper. You could definitely start by sauteing some diced onions and then add everything else in, I just didn’t have any on hand. Break the spaghetti in half so it will fit better in the pan and toss it in.
Next your going to bring that to a boil, then turn down the heat and let it cook for a bit. You want to make sure and stir the pasta at least once to keep the pasta from sticking together. Towards the end of the cooking time you’ll add in some frozen meatballs. Cover it back up and let it continue to cook for just a few minutes until the meatballs are hot and the pasta is tender.
You can see in the photo that the sauce is almost completely absorbed. I actually ended up needed to add a little more liquid which will be reflected in the recipe below. With any one pot means, if you notice it seems to be reducing too quickly, don’t be afraid to add a little more water or broth to the pan. You can always drain it out at the end if necessary.
Once the meatballs are hot and the pasta is cooked, it’s time to add that delicious cheese! I sprinkled on about one cup of shredded Mozzarella and about 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan. Remove the pan from the heat and cover it back up to allow the cheese to melt. Alternatively, you could put the pan under the broiler for a few minutes.
Just make sure to remove the Bay leaf before digging in!
It’s important to note, this recipe made about four servings, but we definitely could have eaten more. If you have a larger family, I would double the recipe.
Easy One Pan Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce half a jar
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 pound uncooked Spaghetti
- 12 frozen meatballs
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 grated Parmesan
- In a large, 12" skillet, pour beef broth, spaghetti sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, garlic, and bay leaf and pasta. Stir a little to coat the pasta.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for approximately 15 minutes, stirring at least once to keep pasta from sticking together.
- Stir pasta and add frozen meatballs into the pan and press them down into the pasta. Cover and continue to simmer for about five minutes or until meatballs are heated through. Add 1/2 cup more liquid if needed.
- Remove pan from heat and top with Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheeses. Cover for five minutes to allow the cheese to melt, or place under the broiler for a couple of minutes.
You might also enjoy: