These Smashed Potatoes are loaded with toppings like melted cheese, bacon and sour cream. They are tender and fluffy on the inside with crispy edges all around. So good for lunch or as a tasty side dish.
Best Potato Recipe Ever
Potatoes are my favorite side dish of all time, and it doesn’t matter how you serve them – mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, cheesy potatoes…but I’m kind of obsessed with these loaded smashed potatoes!
They are super easy to make and are fairly hands off. Just boil, season, smash, bake, and then load them up with your favorite topping. I’m partial to cheese, bacon and sour cream myself, but you can go with anything that happens to tickle your fancy.
Tips for Making Smashed Potatoes
- Choose small potatoes for ultra crispiness. Look for baby potatoes or new potatoes. Purple Potatoes would be delicious as well. The best potatoes are going to be the size of a golf ball.
- Use real butter for maximum flavor. When drizzling the butter over the potatoes, make sure to coat them really well. You can also use olive oil, or a combo of the two. Keep in mind that the butter will burn on the sheet pan so it’s important to line it with parchment paper or foil.
- Give the potatoes a moment to steam after you smash them. The less moisture that’s present, the more crispy they will get.
- Nothing beat real garlic for real flavor. Try to keep the minced garlic on the potatoes and not on the pan or it will burn.
- Use freshly grated cheese and real bacon.
Smashed Potato Toppings
In my opinion, nothing beats potatoes with bacon and cheddar, but you can top your smashed potatoes with any you like. Here are some of our favorite options:
- Cheddar and Ranch – sprinkle on a little dry ranch mix or drizzle with the dressing.
- Alfredo sauce
- Goat cheese and chives
- Mustard sauce
- Simple salt and pepper
How to Serve Smashed Potatoes
I serve this as a simple side dish with Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs, Cajun Grilled Pork Chops, Chicken with Mustard Sauce all of which have great sauces or seasonings that you can use with the smashed potatoes.
Because you can add any seasoning you like, this potato recipes goes with pretty much anything!
More Potato Recipes
- Hasselback Potatoes
- Homemade Loaded Potato Skins
- Ham and Cheese Potato Croquettes
- Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
Loaded Smashed Potatoes
- 1 pound yellow/gold baby potatoes https://amzn.to/36KdSbE
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 10 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- Green onions or chives sliced, for serving
- Sour cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil/parchment paper and set aside.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water and a teaspoon of salt. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, and boil for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside for a few minutes to dry.
- Transfer the potatoes to the baking sheet. Drizzle the melted butter over the potatoes, add the minced garlic and season with salt and pepper. Toss until well coated and combined.
- Using the bottom of a small glass or jar, or a flat spatula, smash the potatoes into flat disks about half an inch thick.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and crispy. Top with cheddar and bacon and bake for a few minutes longer; until the cheese is melted.
- Top with green onions or chives and sour cream if desired, and serve immediately.