This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Harvest Chex Mix is the perfect snack for fall. It’s an interesting mix of sweet and salty that includes Chex cereal, Bugles, pretzels baked in a buttery, brown sugar glaze and mixed with your favorite fall candies.
Chex mix is great for snacking and for gifting! Make some Fall Harvest Chex Mix for your next Halloween movie night or for packaging up to hand out to classrooms, neighbors and friends.
I’m a sucker for a salty-sweet combo and this chex mix always satisfies my craving. The glaze adds a crispy, caramelized outer layer to the crunchy mix of cereal, chips and pretzels, and the added candy pieces just put it over the top.
You don’t need a lot of fancy ingredients to make a big batch of the best chex mix ever!
- Rice Chex cereal – Corn Chex or Crispix cereal is a fine substitute.
- Bugles snack chips – yes, the ones you used to put on your fingers and pretend they were long nails (or was that just me?).
- Pretzels – the twist shape, not sticks (although if that’s all you have the sticks are fine – the twists are just prettier).
- Reese’s Pieces – for nut allergies, skip the peanut butter flavored and use fall M&Ms instead.
- Candy corn. – triangles and pumpkins, also know as the “Autumn/Harvest Mix.” If you’
- Sauce – melted butter, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice
Step by Step Instructions
You can enjoy this fall treat in less than an hour!
Mix up the sauce. Mix together melted butter, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl.
Mix and bake the salty ingredients. Grab a very large bowl, big enough to fill all of the mix and combine the cereal, pretzels and Bugles. Toss with the butter mixture. Spread out on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a 275 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Make sure to pull it out and give it a good stir at least once to promote even baking.
Cool and add candy. Let the baked cereal mixture cool completely before tossing with the candy.
- While you can probably fit the mix on a single baking sheet, I prefer to split it onto 2 sheets so I can stir easily without spilling.
- Use a flat spatula (pancake turner) for stirring.
- Feel free to leave out the pumpkin spice, or just add 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon instead. To balance the flavor you can skip the spice and just add a splash of vanilla extract instead.
- You can mix in any candy you like. If you’re not a fan of candy corn, add mini versions of your favorites, or go with a combo of M&Ms and Reese’s pieces. Avoid anything that will melt easily, like chocolate.
- Or add another crunchy snack you love, like peanuts or pumpkin seeds.
Harvest Mix should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for about a week. Do not refrigerate or the mix could become soggy.
The harvest snack mix is the perfect combination of salty and sweet to accommodate everyone’s taste, and it’s a great gift for fall parties! Scoop some into a cellophane bag and tie with a pretty fall colored ribbon. Add a Halloween treat tag and hand out on Halloween to friends and neighbors.
More Fall Treats to Discover
- Homemade Slow Cooker Applesauce
- Baked Apple Cider Donut Holes
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip
Harvest Chex Mix
- 12 ounce box Rice Chex cereal
- 7 ounce bag Bugles
- 4 cups pretzels twists
- 8 ounce bag Reese’s Pieces
- 1 cup candy corn
- 1 cup pumpkin candy corn
- ¾ cup butter melted (preferably unsalted)
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In an extra large bowl, mix together the cereal, Bugles and pretzels.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the butter, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice until well combined.
- Pour the butter mixture over the chex mix and toss to coat.
- Spread the mixture evenly across the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and serve.