If you’ve never tried a combination of tortellini and smoked sausage, you are definitley missing out! The cheesy pasta blends so deliciously well with the salty, savory pasta. One bit and you’ll wonder where it’s been all your life!
I’ve been playing around in the kitchen with some fun new recipes!
My goal in the new year is to have at least one, one pot meal a month. You can find even more of my one pot meals here.
When I realized that my Cheesy Sausage Pasta was my top post from 2013, I knew that you guys were going to love this little remix. It’s got some of the same elements, but I changed it up a bit, adding whole tomatoes and cheesy tortellini and a little cream cheese to the sauce.
Start by cooking up the turkey sausage with some fragrant diced onions. That alone will make your kitchen smell divine!
Once the onions are soft and the sausage is browned, you add in the rest of the ingredients, minus the cheese – Refrigerated Tortellini (whatever flavor you prefer), a 20 oz can of whole tomatoes (use your kitchen scissors and cut them up right in the can), a cup of chicken broth or water, and salt and pepper. Give it a few quick stirs while you let it come to a boil. Then cover it up and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
Once the pasta is tender, you just add in the cheeses. The sauce will seem thin, but will thicken upon standing. Cover to allow the cheese time to melt, then serve hot.
This is one that I will definitely be adding to my monthly meal plan, because my kids LOVED it! You can kick it up a little by adding a can of Rotel instead of the whole canned tomatoes, too. If not for my picky kiddos, I would have added a couple big handfuls of spinach.
A lot of people ask what pan I use. I used my new Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel 12″ Everyday Pan. It heats evenly and quickly and cleans up great. I also use my Simply Calphalon Nonstick 5-qt. Sauté Pan. It’s a non-stick pan that’s held up fabulously for several years.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you might also like:
One Pan Creamy Tortellini and Smoked Sausage
Yield 4-6 servings
My Creamy One Pan Tortellini and Smoked Sausage is a match made in heaven! It's a delicious one pan meal that combines the tender, cheese filled pasta with savory smokey sausage and wraps it all in a creamy cheesy tomato sauce. One bite and you'll wonder where it's been all your life!
- Olive oil
- 1 pound package of smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 20 ounce package of refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (or whole tomatoes cut in the can with kitchen scissors)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup freshly shredded jack cheese
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened; 3-4 minutes. Stir in minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add sausage and cook until browned on both sides.
- Stir in chicken broth, tortellini, tomatoes, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Turn heat to low, cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until pasta is tender, stirring at least once to prevent sticking. *There should still be liquid in the pan to make the sauce, but if it seems excessive, you can remove some with a large spoon. (If you want a quicker cooking method, set at medium-low heat, uncovered, stirring often for about 8-10 minutes).
- *If there is too much liquid left in the pan, spoon some out. But be sure to leave enough behind to make the sauce.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheeses, reserving a handful for sprinkling on top. Cover and let stand for five to ten minutes, or broil for 2-3 minutes to brown. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.