It doesn’t get much easier than these savory Roasted Lemon Chicken Drumsticks. They are full of lemon and herb flavor and practically fall off the bone tender and juicy.
Most of my life I’ve been a boneless, skinless white meat kind of girl. I think it’s because meat on the bone freaks me out. But in the past couple of years I have learned to appreciate the flavor packed bone-in dark meat of the thigh and drumstick. That’s probably because my son is pretty much obsessed with chicken on the bone.
Upon hearing that dinner is “chicken again??” his next question is, “Wait. Is it on the bone?” A “yes” is met with a cheer while a “nope, sorry” is met with a rather impressive groan. So I’ve been trying to constantly come up with new ways to serve this favorite meat. Our latest favorite is this Roasted Lemon Chicken.
An overnight marinade makes this chicken practically fall off the bone tender, however if you don’t have overnight, you could go 30 minutes. Just remember that the longer it marinates, the more tender it will be. I have a lemon tree, so lemons are readily available all year round for us so I love to use them in my chicken recipes. The lemon flavor is so subtle and doesn’t overpower the rest of the marinade, which, in case you were wondering, is olive oil, salt and pepper, oregano and paprika. I am also a little obsessed with chopped parsley, partly for the fresh herbiness (yup, totally a word) and partly because it just looks so darn pretty.
- 10 Chicken Drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 large lemon, juiced and zested
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Place into a 1-gallon Ziploc bag.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Pour over chicken and seal the bag, squeezing out as much air as possible. Massage marinade into the chicken. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight.
- When ready to cook, let chicken come to room temperature (about 20 minutes). Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange chicken on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes. Flip chicken pieces and cook another 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Fore more easy chicken recipes, try these: