Last updated on
Simple to make yet full of flavor, this BBQ Ranch Grilled Chicken Breast is one of our favorite summer grilling recipes. Get tender, juicy grilled chicken with no marinating time required – dinner is ready in less than 30 minutes!
I love summer cooking, grilling in the backyard while the kids play. Some of our favorites meals have come from the grill, like juicy grilled Hamburgers, easy Grilled Pizza and Grilled Chicken Kabobs. This grilled chicken breast requires only a simple mix of Ranch seasoning, paprika and garlic powder with some oil oil. The oil helps to keep the meat juicy while the simple seasoning blend adds incredible flavor.
Chicken breasts cook pretty quickly on the grill, so I recommend prepping your side dishes while the grill is preheating so they’re ready to go when the chicken is. This chicken was so easy to make. I always double the recipe so I have leftovers for adding to salads or wraps for lunch the next day.
How to make the Perfect Grilled Chicken Breast
- Start with the rub. I used ranch, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper. Combine the seasoning with olive oil and rub your chicken down. Once seasoned you’re ready to grill.
- Preheat the grill. Set your outdoor gas grill to medium/high heat and let it preheat.
- Grill. Set the chicken on chicken breasts on the grill for 5 minutes per side, then flip. Brush with bbq sauce, then grill for a 4-5 minutes more or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer to a clean plate and brush with more bbq sauce, if desired.
How do You Keep Grilled Chicken Moist?
Chicken breasts are very low in fat. This makes them better for you, but can end up drying them out. The best way to keep grilled chicken breasts moist is to add a little olive oil. For this recipe we use olive oil in the rub, which is similar to the way I make my Baked Chicken Breasts. This keep the exterior juicy and helps to hold in moisture.
How long do you grill chicken breasts?
Grilled chicken breasts take about 5-7 minutes per side over medium/high heat. Actual cooking time can vary depending on the size of your chicken breast, so I recommend lightly pounding thicker pieces so they are all of even thickness. You could also place thicker pieces on the grill a couple of minutes before thinner pieces.
Keep an eye on the temperature: the internal temp of your chicken breasts should reach 165 degrees F. If you don’t have an instant read digital meat thermometer I highly recommend purchasing one. They also make instant read thermometers specifically for grilling.
Check out some of my favorite things to serve on the side with these BBQ Ranch Grilled Chicken Breasts, or just about any grilling recipe:
- Macaroni Salad
- Baked Cheesy Ranch Potatoes
- Antipasto Pasta Salad
- Fresh Corn Salad
- Bacon Ranch Red Potato Salad
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Grilled Peaches
Be sure to check out our list of favorite Cookout Side Dishes along with tips for picking just the right sides for your meal, and for more grilled favorites, check these out:
- Spice Rubbed Grilled Tri Tip
- Grilled Garlic & Lime Chicken Kabobs
- Simple Grilled Zucchini Recipe
- Grilled Potatoes Recipe
- Grilled Steak Marinade
BBQ Ranch Grilled Chicken Breast
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil other oils, like canola or vegetable, will work too.
- 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup BBQ sauce a plain or sweet and spicy is recommended
- Mix the olive oil, ranch mix, garlic powder and paprika together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels (do not rinse) and place on a plastic cutting board or in a large shallow dish.
- Sprinkle each side with a little salt and pepper, then rub the seasoning blend into the chicken. Chicken can sit out on the counter while you preheat the grill.
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium/high heat (about 450 degrees). Grill the chicken about 5 minutes per side or just until internal temperature registers 165 degrees F. Brush with barbecue sauce during the last two minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a clean plate and cover with foil to rest 5-10 minutes before slicing. Serve with additional barbecue sauce.
- 2 pounds is approximately 4 large chicken breasts.
- If one side of the breast is much thicker, I recommend lightly pounding it down to promote more even cooking.
- You can use any bbq sauce that you like. I do recommend to avoid overly sweet sauces, like hawaiian, as they don't go as well with the ranch flavor.
This post was updated June 2020
Want more chicken recipes: